vermeer 505 super i supposed to do this?

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score

when baling there is a idler on the left side of the baler next to the main drive chain when the bale gets to about 2.5 ft in diameter the chain starts getting loose on the bottom and tight on top and the idler is coming up.( i thought that is where it was skipping teeth but after watching it more closely its the main drive chain that was slipping but i tightend the tensioner on it and stopped that). i first thought something was wrong with the chain and idler getting tight but i dont see noway that its not going to raise up, so i think now that its supposed to do that as the bale grows the more the tensioner goes up,then once dump the bale and close tailgate the idler goes back down. is that normal? hopefully this picture will show what im talking about.

Gear looks a bit worn to me....adding more slop in the chain. As the gears pull on a chain, one side is going to be taught and the other side is going to be "loose".

Gear still looks to have a fair amount of tooth so you might take a link out and put in a half link to take up some slack.

Dang, i didnt see this and i had a vermeer dealer/mechanic here at the house a few minutes ago...my son in law..i would have shown this to him.

Seems to me the idler should be on the idle side of the chain instead of the tension side. I don't know vermeer balers so I could be wrong.

the last pic is how it should be and it stays that way until the roll gets 2feet and bigger, then the idler comes back down after the bale is droped.

think i have it figured out or atleast hope i do someone put a 24 tooth sprocket in place of a 23 tooth sprocket causing it not to turn the same speed as the other chain on the same shaft. i have some new chains and sprockets ordered that will be in today and baling hay tomorrow so we will see.

Latest posts