Vermeer 504M Classic Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

qball98

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody is running one of these. Currently using a Vermeer 5410 and while it does a good job I have been wishing I would have got the net wrap option when I bought it. So I have been thinking about upgrading to one with net wrap. It will either be a new 5410 or a 504M classic. What I would like to know is who around here has a 504M classic and what do they think of it. Not really looking at any other brands because this is the closest dealer and have had good luck with them in the past.

Thanks

I have one but only rolled about 500 rolls with it so far. Sure do like it. Compared to the 5410 it has 5 bar pickup instead of 4 and heavier bearings. I also got it with the fully automatic control box so all I do is wait for it to tell me to dump. So far no complaints.

Edit, mine does not have the net wrap.

qball, I have the 5410 with net wrap. It does a great job with fine to medium stem hay. Has clogged with heavier hay but I still really like it. But, it's the lightest weight (entry level) baler Vermeer makes. I have had it in for several adjustments, which Vermeer covered, and there are still minor problems. The Vermeer technical people are great over the phone in their assistance. Locally, I did not have as much luck. If I had to pick a baler again, for a 64 pto hp tractor, I would go with with the 504M Classic with the net wrap option because it's heavier duty than the 5410 and will run just fine with my tractor. Now, if you really want a 5410 with net wrap, I might just be willing to run it up to the Arkansas/Texas border and make a deal with you!

James T":nqyv1lt5 said:
Now, if you really want a 5410 with net wrap, I might just be willing to run it up to the Arkansas/Texas border and make a deal with you!

Thanks for the offer but I found out today that they are coming out with 5420 that has some upgraded features so if I go with the Rebel series again I think I would just wait and see how the new one looks. I am really more interested in the 504M if I can swing the price difference. Around here it is mainly Vermeer or John Deere but I have had problems with the local Deere dealer in the past and they are also 25 miles further away. The Vermeer dealer has both the 504M Classic and the new 504N but the N just came out and he has only sold 1 so far. He is the one recommending the 504M Classic so I just wanted to see what others thought of them.

Does anyone her know what the going price is for a 504M Classic with twine and net wrap, hay saver wheels, bale ramp and a monitor?

Thanks

qball98":1yj0gabc said:
James T":1yj0gabc said:
Now, if you really want a 5410 with net wrap, I might just be willing to run it up to the Arkansas/Texas border and make a deal with you!

Thanks for the offer but I found out today that they are coming out with 5420 that has some upgraded features so if I go with the Rebel series again I think I would just wait and see how the new one looks. I am really more interested in the 504M if I can swing the price difference. Around here it is mainly Vermeer or John Deere but I have had problems with the local Deere dealer in the past and they are also 25 miles further away. The Vermeer dealer has both the 504M Classic and the new 504N but the N just came out and he has only sold 1 so far. He is the one recommending the 504M Classic so I just wanted to see what others thought of them.

Does anyone her know what the going price is for a 504M Classic with twine and net wrap, hay saver wheels, bale ramp and a monitor?

I think your making the best choice! I may be looking for one too. No one seems to want to commit to a price online. The only thing I could find was a list price of $27, 571.00 and included outfit specs were not mentioned. It looks like you will have to call around and get prices in your area and make a decision.
Thanks

The 5410 Rebel and 504M Classic share the same platform. The main difference is in the pickup and the belt tightening system. If I was wanting net wrap I'd get the 504M Classic. The 504M Classic is setup to bale silage and has 7" wide belt where the Rebel has 6" wide belts.
If you are looking at the 5420 & 504N then the 504N has the latest 2 stage belt tightening with domestic belts. The 5420 baler is actually a response to the NH650 baler entre level baler. There are big differences in the 5420 and the 504N balers. Where there were not as big a difference in the 5410 & the 504M Classic. All these balers are great balers but likely over the 2011-12 winter, you can get the most bang for your buck out of the 504M Classic.
Vermeer dealers can not post prices on the net. The going rate for a 504 M Classic like you mentioned would be $23-24k. Remember that some dealers will want to dump 504M Classic balers since the 504N will be replacing it.

ironpeddler":2qw6xnva said:
The 5410 Rebel and 504M Classic share the same platform. The main difference is in the pickup and the belt tightening system. If I was wanting net wrap I'd get the 504M Classic. The 504M Classic is setup to bale silage and has 7" wide belt where the Rebel has 6" wide belts.
If you are looking at the 5420 & 504N then the 504N has the latest 2 stage belt tightening with domestic belts. The 5420 baler is actually a response to the NH650 baler entre level baler. There are big differences in the 5420 and the 504N balers. Where there were not as big a difference in the 5410 & the 504M Classic. All these balers are great balers but likely over the 2011-12 winter, you can get the most bang for your buck out of the 504M Classic.
Vermeer dealers can not post prices on the net. The going rate for a 504 M Classic like you mentioned would be $23-24k. Remember that some dealers will want to dump 504M Classic balers since the 504N will be replacing it.

Ironpeddler thanks for the information. Do you happen to know any other differences between the 504M Classic and the new 504N. I know they changed the belt tightening cylinders and the way the net wrap is routed. Is there anything else that would make the 504N worth the extra money?

Latest posts