Vermeer 504l hay baler

Help Support CattleToday:

strapon

Reaction score
G- day out there im a small farmer from australia that is looking at buying a Vermeer 504l baler and was hopingto hear from a few people that have used them and may also have a few tips as what to look out for when buying one and how to tell the condition of the belts

The rule of thumb is a Vermeer baler can be run for 10-15 years and its worth at least 50% of what its sold new for. The baler needs 40 HP min and makes a bale up to 5' tall and 4' wide, about 1200 LBS in dry hay.
If I traded for the baler I would do the following.
1. Lace all the belts to the exact same length
2. Clean out the dirt in the belt tension springs
3. Track the belts by using the alignment adjustments built in the baler. The belts have some frayed edges on the twisted belts meaning they need to be tracked so the run true.
4. Advance the pickup timing 1/4-1/2" to make up for some wear.
5. Adjust the pickup teeth to within 3" of the square starter roller.
6. Adjust the wind guard so its travel is restricted to 1" below the top of the pickup teeth.
7. Repack the wheel bearings
8. Check and adjust the double twin tie and put new knives in it.
10. Check the toggle roller on the tailgate to make sure the allen head bolts are tight.

The condition of the baler is better than average if: The hay saver wheels do not show much wear so that is the first sign it has not baled great amounts of hay. The stripper bands,guide fingers, have most of their paint on them and seem to be in line. If they are in line that means nothing in the pickup is bent from hitting a stump or rock. The pickup is designed to bale 50,000 bales before the cam bearings need to be looked at. Sandy soil is harder on the pickup but if it was in much sandy soil the paint would be all gone off the stripper bands. The tongue should be straight if the baler has not been turned over. Check to see if the door on the leftside is true.

I hope this give you some things to look for.

HayMaxx-anas.gif

Yea thanks that was very help full i haven't had a great deal to do with balers as we have used a contractor in the past so all the info that i can get the better im a little worried about the age of the machine as i think that it is a 1992 modle which may be getting on a little in age but it looks like it may have done very little work so it may be ok. Can any one out there recomend enother baler of similar size that they are really happy with the other ones that i have been looking at is a John deere 435 but it is a lot more expensive :cboy:

We had a 504I quite a few years ago. Had trouble with the bearings, it used 1 1/4" bearings instead of the newer 1 1/2"s. Switched to an L and an XL. I like the L the best.

The 504 Super I balers from 1992 on have 1 1/2" lower drive roller shafts. You must have had an early model I baler. We sold over 600 New Vermeer I balers. It is a very good model. As anything technology will progress and the L and XL balers are later models.

thanks for all of your help over the last couple of days it has been a great help im off to look at enother one to day so we will see what we see if any one else has anything else to add to what to look at when buying a baler that would be great to