Vermeer 504I Baler Slip Clutch

Help Support CattleToday:

frank

Reaction score
Hello, all.

Wondering if anyone has experience with a Vermeer Slip Clutch?

My 504I is chewing the keyways out of cross drive shafts ($175 for a new shaft) and rounding out the PTO tubes ($80) that allows the PTO to stretch up to the tractor. Seems to me the Slip Clutch should be preventing this kind of damage?

Can I just simply back of the bolts on it so it slips a little easier?
Or is it something that I have to open up to adjust?, assuming there is an adjustment?

Thanks!

Frank

Clutch is probably froze up....get a service manual, take it apart, clean it up and put it aback together as directed in the manual...

you can loosen the bolts up until the clutch will slips then tighten them up just enough that the baler will bale without slipping the clutch
hope that makes since don't over tighten them or you will have the same problem
the clutches are froze to the plate and by loosening them and allowing them to slip for a few seconds it will shine everything back up

even if the clutch is froze,,, what causeing the breaking...granted it needs to slip but ive hit stuff before with a frozen clutch is there another problem futher back??

Thanks Guys.

I'll try loosening the bolts and shining it up first as I don't have a manual. Hard to know whether or not it is slipping at the right point though. I guess that cleaning it up is not out of the league of someone with limited experience, so I'll try to find one and get prepared to educate myself. Hopefully there aren\t too many little parts.

Frank
(got my old login back)

fdwyer":3sv83wjm said:
Thanks Guys.

I'll try loosening the bolts and shining it up first as I don't have a manual. Hard to know whether or not it is slipping at the right point though. I guess that cleaning it up is not out of the league of someone with limited experience, so I'll try to find one and get prepared to educate myself. Hopefully there aren\t too many little parts.

Frank
(got my old login back)
Hopefully you won't have to take it apart and loosening it and letting it slip will do the trick

If you do there shouldn't be much but a couple of discs and steel plates and the bolts that squeeze them together

to check and see if it is tight enough just start baling slow and if it slips stop and tighten the bolts a 1/4 turn keep repeating until you can make a complete bale and tie it then they should be tight enough
good luck

Thanks, we'll try that.
Glad to hear there isn't too much in there.

Frank
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.... Ted Nugent

The slip clutch may be out of adjustment, but you're going to need to dig a little deeper to find the root of the problem. Slip clutch is a buffer, need to find the stressor.

Well, we loosened the clutch a bit and baled 100 bales or so. I couldn't find anything further up. She plugged a couple of times and doesn't seem to have ripped the keyway out of the cross-shaft, so I am hoping we are good. We welded up the old keyway and had a fresh one cut in for this year..

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Here's hoping she lasts the season, at least...

Frank

Latest posts