Ventral Edema

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz

Reaction score
I have a first calf heifer that was looking really bad. Looked like she was carrying a basketball. First case for me. It just came up within a 48 hour time frame. Induced her labor and within three days of calving she looks fine. I am just relieved she calfed with no problems and is back to normal. Wondering what the chances are of a repeat next time if I keep her.

fitz.

regolith":2g2bbhko said:
Edema is a first calver issue - you shouldn't see it in this cow again.

She's out of some hardy stock. I was just surprised at the severity and really surprised at how fast she cleared up. Thank you for the reply.

fitz

Edema is very common in first calve rs and heavy milkers. There have been a few studies linking edema to high salt intake, I think they were inconclusive, but I have changed my mineral program for my heifers and they are started on high quality minerals only with 0 salt at least 2-3 weeks before their due date and it seems to make a little difference ,with edema and an easy delivery.

There was a post about it last year or so so I thought I would give it a try, I will let you know in a few months if it really works or was just a coincidence.. ;-)

hillsdown":vfs49nze said:
Edema is very common in first calve rs and heavy milkers. There have been a few studies linking edema to high salt intake, I think they were inconclusive, but I have changed my mineral program for my heifers and they are started on high quality minerals only with 0 salt at least 2-3 weeks before their due date and it seems to make a little difference ,with edema and an easy delivery.

There was a post about it last year or so so I thought I would give it a try, I will let you know in a few months if it really works or was just a coincidence.. ;-)
I also think there is a predisposition for edema in some cows/heifers. When a dozen of them freshen in a week and one has edema and none of the others do it tells me that there had to be some kind of genetis deal involved.'We had one cow that frshened as a heifer with no problems her second calf she had horrible edema, took 4 shots of Laix to get it doen enough that we could get any milk out of her

Latest posts