Venting - not at all bovine-related

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmwriter

Reaction score
A friend of my husband and myself died yesterday of an apparent drug overdose, and I am just sick about it. This makes 6 school friends of his that have died at their own hand, either intentionally or because of overdose. I have a relative by marriage that took her own life because of depression/addiction. We are both in our 30's, and it sure seems to me we are too young to be going to so many funerals like this, and these are just the ones for people about our age!
So many families in absolute agony for years before a bitter, tragic end.
So many tiny children who are going to live lives without a single memory of a mom/dad.
Thefts, vehicle accidents, enormous hospital bills and/or legal fees because of drug abuse.
I am sick to death of it (poor choice of words I know), and I have no idea why in addition to being sad I am SO ANGRY or what to do about it - other than pray for some kind of calm.
And I don't know why I'm typing about it either. But I am very, very tired of it.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm 42 and lost two friends that shot themselves. It does really pi$$ you off I know. You want to be sad, mad and also angry at yourself for not seeing something that told you what they were gong to do an be able to help them. I was thinking about them today, even have a text left on my phone from one of them. Both were the last you would ever expect to do that. Really haven't said much to help any but just remember you can only live your own life.

Do not even know what to say Farmwriter. Just that I am sorry you have to go through this and you are in my prayers . Hugs :heart:

Farmwriter I know exactly how you feel. Two very fine young men who I helped raise are both dead the same way because of drugs and alchahol. They were my two oldest sons best friends growing up and both went from all star athletes and great students to their grave because of the choices they made. One was a month from college graduation in engineering school and was also a supervisor with UPS. One bad choice killed him. The other boy who was my oldest sons best friend went down the drain in the 9th grade and never recovered. He died at 28 yrs of age. To this day I can't see either set of parents without tearing up. The anniversary of one of those deaths was yesterday. It still breaks my heart every year at this time

and I agree we need more God.........in our hearts.

I wanted badly to repond to this thread about things I think cause this situation but i do not think it would be helpful.
I will only say that our national society has strayed from american values and it is permeating every level of society now.
My heart goes out to those who have lost young folks in such awful ways.

Many thanks to you all. I was kind of in a funk yesterday afternoon, but I feel a little better this morning. A long hot shower and good sleep make almost everything a little better in my world.
From people who seemed to have every advantage to those who never seemed to have a chance, it is equally heartbreaking. I am so thankful our godchild has been here this week to keep me distracted for the most part. Thanks again for letting me get this out to people who won't be offended. I realize more everyday that for all the evil computers make possible, they have made a greater multitude blessings for me.

sad storys.often these tragedys could be prevented if parents would open there eyes.i have 5 boys ages 16,17,19,20,22 and a 9 yr girl. so far i have had 1 incident with drugs with my 16 yr old.he cane home one night and right away he acted funny so i said have u been smoking weed and of course he lies but i kept at it and finally i said i am going to walgreens and buy a pee test.well he owned up then and told me where he did it.i called them parents to let them know.parents need to play detective more and not be afraid to search a kids room or go through a phone.i have done it many times.it pizzez them off but too bad.i want to know whats going on now and not later when its too late.

jedstivers":16zt8dj4 said:
Kingfisher":16zt8dj4 said:
We need more God.
Yep
there's all you want out there, he aint went anywhere.. seem's alot of young folks taking their life around here lately too, its hard on younger folks out there now . man in here the other day been married 60+ years... thats rare anymore

It is not only the ones who have died but the ones that were very smart and talented who have thrown their lives away who have ended up being thiefs and jail birds and can not hold a job all because of drugs.

In all seriousness I think having responsibilities such as working with cattle gets the focus off of themselves. Switzerland with one of the highest pay and literacy rates in the world also has one of the highest youth suicide rates in the world. work, especially farm or cattle work, tends to keep your perspective on life and our place in the world. Sitting around on the computer (except here of course) buried in much of todays youth "music" gets folks so self centered that they lose perspective on life and how good it can be. jmho.

Sorry to hear of your pain FW.

Jim

A 23 yr old kid I had helped a couple times, without being close, shot himself last Fall. That kid had a dysfunctional family but, who doesn't have that? He left a wife and a kid and there wasn't any good reason.

this aint meant to be,, or sound racist,,, just to clear that up, and get that out of the way... but you dont hear of many blacks commiting suicide, aleast here their all white

ALACOWMAN":2a7emkkh said:
this aint meant to be,, or sound racist,,, just to clear that up, and get that out of the way... but you dont hear of many blacks commiting suicide, aleast here their all white

Same here...wonder why?

Kathy and I each had a younger brother that got into drugs. Once drugs get a hold on you, you just have a hard and very difficult life ahead. Because of our brothers we were very hard on our children concerning drugs and alcohol. Both our brothers died at 53 years old.

At one time I was class B brownbagging with a woman whose sister was on drugs. I was kind of concerned anout my oldest nephew (about 13 at the time) and the crowd he was hanging around with. One day I took him to visit the sister. He sat there the whole time and didn;t say a word. On the way home he asked what was wrong with and I told him drugs. From then on that was one kid I never worried about again concerning drugs.

dun":1a3te912 said:
At one time I was class B brownbagging with a woman whose sister was on drugs. I was kind of concerned anout my oldest nephew (about 13 at the time) and the crowd he was hanging around with. One day I took him to visit the sister. He sat there the whole time and didn;t say a word. On the way home he asked what was wrong with and I told him drugs. From then on that was one kid I never worried about again concerning drugs.

Explain so that I can also understand without using my (often filthy) imagination.

KNERSIE":2jviig40 said:
dun":2jviig40 said:

Explain so that I can also understand without using my (often filthy) imagination.
Old Navy term. If you're married it's "class A brownbagging"

dun":1wll3kqj said:
KNERSIE":1wll3kqj said:
dun":1wll3kqj said:

Old Navy term. If you're married it's "class A brownbagging"

OIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts