venereal warts

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a yearling bull with a 1"x1/4" wart on his penis. Besides surgically removing it, are there other methods of treatment and what is the prognosis or chance of recurrence if we surgically remove. The bull tested out great otherwise.

[email protected]

> We have a yearling bull with a
> 1"x1/4" wart on his
> penis. Besides surgically removing
> it, are there other methods of
> treatment and what is the
> prognosis or chance of recurrence
> if we surgically remove. The bull
> tested out great otherwise.

was he tested by a vet? did the vet say it was a problem with breeding or spreading? i have seen warts on their face and head, spread and then just disappear with out much affect and then i have seen them stay for long periods.

[email protected]

Yes, the bull was tested by a vet and he suggested surgically removing it but was concerned with reoccurence and blood loss. We are wondering if it will go away on its own like the warts they get on the head or neck? This is a purebred bull scheduled for a sale March 15 and we are concerned about selling it in case it reoccurs.

[email protected]

The best thing to do is surgically remove the wort. The chance of bleeding to death is great but the only other option is to cull him any way. So this way there is a chance of the bull being okay or your freezer being full. I would suggest you do not breed to this bulls father any more since his genetics must have been very week and passed them down to his progeny. A bull with good genectics will not pick up such viruses.

It's fairly common for young cattle to get warts and they will go away by themselves. It has very little to do with genetics. I've seen our vet put a small rubber band around them. It cuts off the blood supply of the wart and the wart and the band fall off in a few days. Apparently, it doesn't affect the bull's fertility or ability to breed. Making a wart to bleed will cause the animal to mfg wart antibodies in his own system and he's not likely to get warts again. Good luck....

> We have a yearling bull with a
> 1"x1/4" wart on his
> penis. Besides surgically removing
> it, are there other methods of
> treatment and what is the
> prognosis or chance of recurrence
> if we surgically remove. The bull
> tested out great otherwise.

[email protected]

Latest posts