Vegan/Animal Rights Propaganda

Help Support CattleToday:

I really despise the wanna be intellectuals. You know, those people that are convinced they know how I should live my life better than I do. If you don't believe me, just ask them.

I'm convince that there is a special class of people that need some real hardship in their life so they have something to do other than think about how other people should live their lives...I really do wish that kind of hardship on them
Maybe this round of higher interest rates will have some of them experiencing the real cost of living. Most have only experienced the free money for their mortgages, giving them the funds to annoy us for something to do.

Ken

My good friend lives in the city. I've been trying to get him out to the ranch so his young kids could experience what it's like to be outdoors, hear turkeys gobbling, watch geese fly over, smell some horse**** and check out how a ranch works.

I haven't been able to get his family out of the city because he's always too busy.

So I decided I would bring the ranch to him. I went out and bought his two young kids some overalls, small kids gardening tools, some green bean seeds, a toy cow and a toy hog.

I know it's probably silly but I figure if I can get their young heads turned away from a video game for just a couple of minutes then I am successful !!

I was telling him that it is so important that his kids learn to plant something. Doesn't matter what they're planting as long as they learn to plant and take care of something. I think this is very important for our kids young life. I think they still call that learning responsibility.

We try to get young people to visit the ranch to see just how cool ranch life really is especially when you're younger. Of course one of the main reasons that we want them to visit is to try to fill their heads with real life experiences, that is something that is lacking in the young person's world right now. Kids are so consumed with virtual reality and video games that they know no real skills or even have good information about how things work regarding the food they eat.

I wouldn't trade growing up on a farm for anything in this world, it was the best experience of my lifetime. We are always trying to share those experiences here with City people.

Education is the key to winning this battle against extreme veganism.

Here is a picture from some of our visitors, the kids had never been around a horse or cattle and they were so thrilled I didn't think I was ever going to get them to leave !!
Priceless

IMG_20210701_191558336_HDR~4.jpg

What I don't understand is how all the agricultural schools are so silent. They are the bastions of accurate agricultural knowledge and teaching our future agriculturalists... and yet they aren't mentioned in articles, or posting anything to inform.
What @dave_shelby said. I suspect it's not "allowed".

What @dave_shelby said. I suspect it's not "allowed".
Well why in the hell would THAT be??? Every industry and/or ideology has value if you listen to those that are educated and experienced. I don't know of any other industry that remains silent when they are under attack.

Just using this single idea in response to the often told lie that animals are tortured... That it is an irrefutable fact that animals gain more weight, give more milk, lay more eggs, and breed easier if they are healthy and comfortable... cultivates some justified doubt in the brains of many people who's only experience is household pets and Disney movies. Even the fanatics understand the logic involved in that statement.

Well why in the hell would THAT be??? Every industry and/or ideology has value if you listen to those that are educated and experienced. I don't know of any other industry that remains silent when they are under attack.

Just using this single idea in response to the often told lie that animals are tortured... That it is an irrefutable fact that animals gain more weight, give more milk, lay more eggs, and breed easier if they are healthy and comfortable... cultivates some justified doubt in the brains of many people who's only experience is household pets and Disney movies. Even the fanatics understand the logic involved in that statement.
It's political. Unfortunately, too many universities are no longer allowing or disinviting any speaker they deem too conservative. It doesn't matter if they have value, are educated & experienced if it doesn't fit their ideology. As a general rule, the Ag Industry is considered more conservative (not that both sides and in-between aren't represented).

Classes on "wokeness", cancel culture, all inclusive, gender identity, anti-racism, green energy, taking religion out of schools, everyone & everything must be equal . . . . that's what is being taught in schools and universities. It doesn't matter if the Ag Industry is using sustainable methods & humanely treating their livestock because it doesn't fit their agenda.

It's political. Unfortunately, too many universities are no longer allowing or disinviting any speaker they deem too conservative. It doesn't matter if they have value, are educated & experienced if it doesn't fit their ideology. As a general rule, the Ag Industry is considered more conservative (not that both sides and in-between aren't represented).

Classes on "wokeness", cancel culture, all inclusive, gender identity, anti-racism, green energy, taking religion out of schools, everyone & everything must be equal . . . . that's what is being taught in schools and universities. It doesn't matter if the Ag Industry is using sustainable methods & humanely treating their livestock because it doesn't fit their agenda.
Yeah, I know that's real for many campuses, and a lot of the administrations have even encouraged that kind of damping down of critical thinking. But I'm pretty amazed at how dangerous some of the ideas are from the urban majority. And Ag schools aren't really the same as Berkley, so they should have at least some interest in the reality of how the industry they are teaching about is being impacted. I went to school at Utah State... and if there is any state in the country more conservative than Utah I'd be surprised. And the same for the school. Even BYU isn't as conservative as Utah State. I also did some work with The University of Arkansas.

I mean... what it all comes down to is fighting for accuracy, isn't it? And isn't that what schools are all about? At least in the fields of study they teach? I just can't believe that Ag schools are somehow being silenced from above.

I'm . . . . speechless at the moment. But not surprised. How can we, as an industry, dispel the myths? Unfortunately, I don't know if we can anymore.
There are a number of organisations and facebook pages which put forward information to counter the vegan narrative, the EOM (Ethical Omnivour Movement) pages were started by a group of ex vegans, and often have some good information on their pages, there are also some great arguments between the ex vegans and practicing ones .

I'm . . . . speechless at the moment. But not surprised. How can we, as an industry, dispel the myths? Unfortunately, I don't know if we can anymore.
There are a number of organisations and facebook pages which put forward information to counter the vegan narrative, the EOM (Ethical Omnivour Movement) pages were started by a group of ex vegans, and often have some good information on their pages, there are also some great arguments between the ex vegans and practicing ones .

I checked out that Ethical Omnivore site and it has a lot of good information. Seems legitimate, and even-handed. They look at both sides of the arguments and give credit where credit is due instead of just taking one side.

Hey folks... I was just warned about political content and had a post removed because I responded to it. This thread is not about politics, but it IS about informing everyone about how to combat disinformation being used against the farming and ranching community. Please don't make it hard on the moderators.

In this interest I'm going to post a small segment of the original post so people can discuss.

Claim: Most agricultural land is used to grow livestock.

Rebuttal: Agricultural land has many forms. When people say most of it is used to grow livestock they may mean several things. People may also say that the crops being grown are mostly used to feed livestock. I've heard people say that upwards of ninety percent of plant agriculture is done to feed livestock. Of course that means they are getting pretty loose with their definitions and they are avoiding context. I don't believe it is correct to say that oranges are grown to feed animals, but I've heard it claimed because once the juice is squeezed from citrus fruit the excess pulp can be fed to livestock. The two crops most often exampled are corn and soy. The greatest percentage of corn grains that are fed to livestock are processed for some kind of human use before becoming feed. About 40/50% of corn is processed for ethanol to be used as fuel. Another 20/25% is processed for oil or syrup. A much smaller percentage is used for fresh and canned corn, but still a human use. The greatest amount of corn by weight and volume fed to livestock is the stalk, fermented as silage. I don't know many people that would complain about cows eating corn stalks, but vegans do. About 98% of soy beans are processed for human uses before the byproduct produced becomes animal feed. While livestock eats almost 100% of soy meal, the oils have been extracted for cooking as well as industrial purposes. Human uses. As far as the entire percentage of land being used to grow meat, those opposed to livestock always seem to forget that much of the western states are unusable for plant agriculture and don't have enough water to raise anything people could eat. Many of the acres cattle are on are untillable. In many cases a single cow/calf unit will barely survive on a hundred acres. This kind of land being claimed as any percentage of the total skews the results dramatically.​

Yeah, I know that's real for many campuses, and a lot of the administrations have even encouraged that kind of damping down of critical thinking. But I'm pretty amazed at how dangerous some of the ideas are from the urban majority. And Ag schools aren't really the same as Berkley, so they should have at least some interest in the reality of how the industry they are teaching about is being impacted. I went to school at Utah State... and if there is any state in the country more conservative than Utah I'd be surprised. And the same for the school. Even BYU isn't as conservative as Utah State. I also did some work with The University of Arkansas.

I mean... what it all comes down to is fighting for accuracy, isn't it? And isn't that what schools are all about? At least in the fields of study they teach? I just can't believe that Ag schools are somehow being silenced from above.
I don't disagree. And yet, it's happening.

Gosh this is a great discussion.

LeeVanRoss, if you sign in here and are "bombarded by advertising" your should use the duckduckgo browser. They block all advertising (if you want) and do not tack, like google and others do. When you surf you can see sites that wern't censored by google for political incorrectness. If your really want anonymity use the TOR browser which also uses duckduckgo. No one can tell your IP because they bounce your posts through multiple servers all over the world. It is slower but worth it.

On the topic of ag education and why colleges and fail to combat vegan propaganda. Consider the woke movement. I suspect the same players at the top in both movements and both rely on a lot of media activity. But what surprised me most about woke movement is how quickly it was adopted by corporations, schools, churches, everywhere. Within weeks it seemed that all these organizations incorporated similar verbage, policies, positions. Its a complete mystery and I've read nothing that explains the phenomena. I have my suspicions though.

One of the real world examples of how urban ignorance can get out of hand.

I wish there was a way to get these activists to quit menstruating and give them an estrus cycle. If they had to live through going into heat they might have a better understanding of an animal's need to breed.
I had one young lady tell me that all dairies had "rape rooms" where cows were forced to go into so they could be either force raped against their will by large powerful bulls or forced into pregnancy by people with evil intent to force pregnancy on them

If somebody is stealing sunglasses I don't want them killed...

But if someone is stealing livestock under the delusion that they are doing some kind of good, I'd sure like to have them sentenced to work on the ranch for a year and see how they feel about it then.
the person being shot wasn't shot because of the item but because of the act being performed. If it were the other way around the cop would need to call out with a bull horn and ask the thief what they stole and wait for a response from the thief before shooting

the person being shot wasn't shot because of the item but because of the act being performed. If it were the other way around the cop would need to call out with a bull horn and ask the thief what they stole and wait for a response from the thief before shooting
Yeah, I get that... So I don't want people killed for running from the police. I've done it myself, just for fun.

I agree more with the states where you have to have stolen certain things or amounts of things or committed certain acts/be posing a current threat in order to be shot fleeing. Theft is wrong, dead wrong, but I don't believe in giving any entity of the state the power to execute people for stealing sunflower seeds from the Texaco station.

I've been looking around on Texas A&M website. I don't see a lot of liberal looloo useless courses here.

Why doesn't everybody contact your nearest ag university and 'contact us' ? Ask them what they are doing to counteract the bad press propaganda surounding agriculture.

I was thinking of going ahead and supporting this site $$$ financially because of the friendly and knowledgeable people who post here. But because of the Great and Powerful Oz behind the curtain I've changed my mind.
I'd appreciate it if you'd keep that kind of off topic commentary off this thread.