Veal calf info needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria":3oig0anh said:
KANSAS":3oig0anh said:
Snap out of it...

Lets see.... We cut their balls off
We burn their horns off or cut em off
We Brand em with hot irons
We shove our entire arm up their woohoo just to see whats going on.
The we sell em and they live shoulder to shoulder in a mud feedlot.
Sounds like great treatment to me... Veal folks arent doing anything wrong.

I do number one, rape scenes at the feedlot aren't pretty and castrating although painful does not hurt for more than a day or so.
Don't have horns, dehorn at conception by using a red angus bull
Don't brand, see no point to it here - we don't have to worry about theft and therefore it does seem like an unnecessary cruelty for our operation. For those that it is necessary it is again not a lifelong pain.
As for shoving an arm up the rectum, size wise it is about the same as a man having a prostate exam.
Feedlots here are regulated. They might not be the best places to live but they are well fed and have room to move.
All of the animals above have also had good times in their lives (at least if they were brought up here). That same steer that is castrated also plays and runs in a grassy field. Good and bad in their lives, sounds like my life - it isn't pain free either.
That is why I see a big difference between all of the things you mentioned and being put in a box from day one not being allowed to move their entire lives and fed substandard food to keep the meat a pretty colour. A righteous man takes care of his animals, that isn't taking care of an animal in my view.
Very well said! I actually had an argument with my ag teacher the other day about dehorning. I COULD NOT get him to understand the consept of breeding polled animals and then not having to worry about de-horning. He continued to tell me that horns are just a part of beef (which they are) and it is impossible that we have never dehorned one (which it's not impossible because we havent) anyway, thats another fight that I am not willing to get into. Again, very well said. We can at least try to make their life worth it. And treat them the best that we can in the circumstances given.

Obviously no person here knows what they are talking about.....White veal is the milk replacer veal that peta is talking about...when i grew up there were 3 types; milk fed....sucked on the cow for a couple months....red....which got milk and grain etc.....but killed about 5 months of age and Fancy white veal....they were bought as bob calves...crated...50 to 100 crates per barn and fed milk replacer.............or milk if the farmers had it...but no iron...nothing in the stall had iron in it cause licking it would taint the meat....the calves knew no other life...they drank milk and were happy...............they didn't move around much cause that would cause the muscle to become fibrous...(thats what happens when you excersise) they become couch potatoes.....waiting for food til they 3 months old...bit more maybe....

Not a good life maybe...but not the worst.....i been at the salesbarn a few times this winter and have to have my husband hold me back cause i want to kill the steward of a pen of 6 month old starved, sick, swollen legged calves............donkeys who will never walk again cause their feet r grown round and round again and that is on top of the starved condition they are in.

I don't agree with caging animals.....don't get me wrong but it is a heck of a lot more 'humane' than what is going on in the real world!

Strauss International has a new veal program, they have hooked up with NALF. They want Pasture raised calves weighing from 415 to 525 LB. No shots no dehorning no casturating no creep feeding.

Latest posts