Veal calf info needed

Help Support CattleToday:

hughnews

Reaction score
I have a 61 lbs Jersey male calf . drinking milk replacer .. I want a reg Veal .. do I feed anything else ? ???????????

I think they fatten up with all kinds of crap to get veal.I dont eat it or promote it .Seems kind of cruel to me.But thats just me I aint tryin to get peta on ya just my personal thoughts .Good luck mabye you can get a better answer from somebody else.

jj216":18w98idf said:
PS-I dont think Jersey would make good veal anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as 'good' veal. I, too, refuse to buy it, eat it, or promote it.

That makes three of us. I won't eat it or promote it either. An all liquid diet (sometimes going as far as to remove bedding to ensure no roughage is eaten to improve meat and get that nice pale colour) and keeping them in small spaces to ensure the muscles do not develop making the veal more tender is not my idea of good animal husbandry.

Oh my, I'm sorry, I'm not up on veal production...do they really do that? Truely I am stunned. I can't imagine raising my baby calves like that. in my mind that is cruel.
Hughnews, please take no offense to what i just said. Each one of us has to make decisions we can be comfortable with.
oh my

sheeesh for this little veal calf he gets milk reg for 3 months and then on the dinner place .. nice life to me
i bot him at the auciton for $18.30 ... the first bag of milk was $19.99 and the next one was $76

If you are talking about letting him romp and play, feeding high quality milk (that does not lack iron) and letting him nibble on hay or maybe some grain then that is just eating a calf not producing high quality veal. ;-) Sorry to jump on your post, to me veal is just a really ugly side to the beef industry.

Come on folks, hewwnews said he was going to eat the calf not mistreat it. All those cute calves posted on here :D guess what :?: 99 % will end up being eaten. :shock: :tiphat:

No,he said he wanted veal.Which is different from calf meat.

I'd like to see where you got that definition. It's my understanding that "veal" is just a culinary term used to described meat that comes from young calves. There are at least 3 different kinds of veal thant I know of:

1) milk fed veal.
2) non milk fed veal
3) veal that comes from calves only a few days old.

dcara":33f59nfo said:
No,he said he wanted veal.Which is different from calf meat.

I'd like to see where you got that definition. It's my understanding that "veal" is just a culinary term used to described meat that comes from young calves. There are at least 3 different kinds of veal thant I know of:

1) milk fed veal.
2) non milk fed veal
3) veal that comes from calves only a few days old.

From Epicurious.com

veal
Though there are no precise age standards for veal, the term is generally used to describe a young calf from 1 to 3 months old. Milk-fed veal comes from calves up to 12 weeks old who have not been weaned from their mother's milk. Their delicately textured flesh is firm and creamy white with a pale grayish-pink tinge. Formula-fed veal can come from calves up to about 4 months old, fed a special diet of milk solids, fats, various nutrients and water. The meat from formula-fed veal is not as rich or delicate as milk-fed veal because of the diet's missing milk fat. The term Bob veal applies to calves younger than 1 month old. Their pale, shell-pink flesh is quite bland and the texture is soft. In all true veal, the animals haven't been allowed to eat grains or grasses, either of which would cause the flesh to darken. Calves between 6 and 12 months old are called baby beef, and have flesh that's coarser, stronger-flavored and from pink to light red in color. True veal is usually plentiful in the spring and late winter. At other times of the year, calves over 3 months old are often sold as veal. The USDA grades veal in six different categories; from highest to lowest they are Prime, Choice, Good, Standard, Utility and Cull. The last three grades are rarely sold in retail outlets. When choosing veal, let color be your guide. The flesh should be creamy white — barely tinged with grayish-pink — and the fat white. Meat that's pink turning red means the so-called "veal" is older than it should be. Veal's texture should be firm, finely grained and smooth. For storage information, see listing for BEEF. Veal is often cooked by moist-heat methods to compensate for its lack of natural fat. It is easy to overcook and dry out, so careful attention must be paid during preparation. The delicate flavor and fine texture of veal have appealed to diners for centuries. Among the numerous dishes created to highlight this meat are veal CORDON BLEU, veal MARENGO, VEAL ORLOFF, VEAL OSCAR, OSSO BUCO, veal PARMIGIANA, VEAL PICCATA and veal SCALOPPINE.

Thanks Dun."in all true veal they are not allowed to eat grains or grass"Therefore a calf that has done so would be baby beef or calf meat.

mnmtranching":3vlpogod said:
Come on folks, hewwnews said he was going to eat the calf not mistreat it. All those cute calves posted on here :D guess what :?: 99 % will end up being eaten. :shock: :tiphat:

I'm all for eating them just believe that their lives up until being eaten should be decent. Veal calves by definition in my opinion are mistreated. Raising a calf normally and then eating it is not veal.

mnmtranching":jo9qdynu said:

No problem. What I have a problem with is baby calves being confined to tiny little boxes so they can't exercise and develop their muscles. Unless I've missed a major overhaul in the methods used, that is how veal is raised.

Thanks Dun."in all true veal they are not allowed to eat grains or grass"Therefore a calf that has done so would be baby beef or calf meat.

After looking at a few other web sites on this subject, it appears that there are a few different variations on the definitions on veal. However, USDA defines veal as follows

What is Veal?
Veal is the meat from a calf or young beef animal. A veal calf is raised until about 16 to 18 weeks of age, weighing up to 450 pounds. Male dairy calves are used in the veal industry. Dairy cows must give birth to continue producing milk, but male dairy calves are of little or no value to the dairy farmer. A small percentage are raised to maturity and used for breeding.

Calf: A calf is a young bovine of either sex that has not reached puberty (up to about 9 months of age), and has a maximum live weight of 750 pounds.
\

Heres the link to the site
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Ve ... /index.asp

Notice the lack of reference to milk feeding except in the context of types of "Special-Fed Veal".

Snap out of it...

Lets see.... We cut their balls off
We burn their horns off or cut em off
We Brand em with hot irons
We shove our entire arm up their woohoo just to see whats going on.
The we sell em and they live shoulder to shoulder in a mud feedlot.
Sounds like great treatment to me... Veal folks arent doing anything wrong.

KANSAS":1lpy2plw said:
Snap out of it...

:clap: :clap:

Ya'll are acting like you want PETtA to start regulating the beef industry. All they need is a foot hold. I hope the MODS delete this thread.

Walt

KANSAS":30i63h0q said:
Snap out of it...

I do number one, rape scenes at the feedlot aren't pretty and castrating although painful does not hurt for more than a day or so.
Don't have horns, dehorn at conception by using a red angus bull
Don't brand, see no point to it here - we don't have to worry about theft and therefore it does seem like an unnecessary cruelty for our operation. For those that it is necessary it is again not a lifelong pain.
As for shoving an arm up the rectum, size wise it is about the same as a man having a prostate exam.
Feedlots here are regulated. They might not be the best places to live but they are well fed and have room to move.
All of the animals above have also had good times in their lives (at least if they were brought up here). That same steer that is castrated also plays and runs in a grassy field. Good and bad in their lives, sounds like my life - it isn't pain free either.
That is why I see a big difference between all of the things you mentioned and being put in a box from day one not being allowed to move their entire lives and fed substandard food to keep the meat a pretty colour. A righteous man takes care of his animals, that isn't taking care of an animal in my view.

Veal creeps me out. Doesn't look like real beef. Like eating something that was ill. :(

Who came up with the idea anyway? Must have been a chef because it sure as heck wasn't a cattlemen! We don't like to work that hard nor be cooped up inside caring for our animals like the poultry folks. :p

Latest posts