VanNice Angus Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
The sale was on RFD TV today, but we drove over and looked at bulls. He had dispersed his Angus herd several years ago in MT. When he decided to get back into the Angus business, he went out and bought embryos and donor cows. The 136 bulls cataloged were out of about 40 cows. He sold several groups of flush brothers. The buyers liked that. The most popular sire group seemed to be the Predestined.

Frankie":2bo8kix0 said:
The sale was on RFD TV today, but we drove over and looked at bulls. He had dispersed his Angus herd several years ago in MT. When he decided to get back into the Angus business, he went out and bought embryos and donor cows. The 136 bulls cataloged were out of about 40 cows. He sold several groups of flush brothers. The buyers liked that. The most popular sire group seemed to be the Predestined.

My problem with all these embryo bulls being sold- is you're not getting the "true" maternal picture- as its not their mother raising them....I feel the same with some of these bull producers that creep feed to get higher weaning weights...
I prefer bulls/cattle from seedstock producers that run their cows the same as the commercial guys they are wanting to sell to..

I met Joe and his wife one time, really nice people. I hope there sale was a success. Did you catch an average on the sale?

jscunn":1dcijuha said:
I met Joe and his wife one time, really nice people. I hope there sale was a success. Did you catch an average on the sale?

They had a good crowd. We left before the bull sale was over, so didn't get an average or see any of the females sell. The high selling bull at that point was a Predestined son, #34, for $6300. But prices were holding pretty steady around $3000 when we left. Of course, they were mostly 18 month old bulls so he's got some time tied up in them.

Oldtimer":1e4e6v26 said:
Frankie":1e4e6v26 said:

My problem with all these embryo bulls being sold- is you're not getting the "true" maternal picture- as its not their mother raising them....I feel the same with some of these bull producers that creep feed to get higher weaning weights...
I prefer bulls/cattle from seedstock producers that run their cows the same as the commercial guys they are wanting to sell to..

He had performance information in the catalog on the donor cows: BW, WW, YW ratios on most of them, some carcass ratios on a few. It was very helpful for us to see all those half and full brothers penned together. One pen had six or eight Retail Product bulls out of two cows, one 1407 and an 878 (half sisters). The downside was that he was using many of the same genetics we're using, so we didn't have the choices that we'll get at some later sales. The bulls hadn't been pushed. I think he fed for a 2.5 lb gain. They were in good flesh, but not fat by any means.

Anyone who will ever meet Joe Van Nice will say he is one of the best in the business of raising Angus Cattle and his wife is right there to support him every step of the way. His sale was very nice and had great food furnishing BBQ from a local restaurant. He had many donors for sale. The top lot in the entire sale was the Lot 4 Donor Cow, which sold for $10,000 to an outfit called Phelps Diamond P Angus Ranch somewhere in Oklahoma. I have never heard of them, but apparently I was told from a friend that stayed until the end of the sale that they bought 5 of Joe's Donor Cows so obviously they are pretty heavy into the business of Embryo flushing and transfer. Good Cows.

Latest posts