Value of spent tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

It's one last hoorah before school starts, for the employees families.

My wife ordered the water balloons, I think from Amazon, along with these largish syringes (squirt guns)
62675CAB-5CAB-4499-8BF9-EAF416576E47.jpeg

I close off a pen in the corral so only the calves have access and use the empty tubs for feeders to get them used to grain or pellets
In my opinion it pay dividends when weaned as they are easier to handle and go to a regular bunk as opposed to running the perimeter
and bawling. ymmv. Probably not legit but the busted one's will burn hot enough to get a log pile burning,,

I was serious about the $4 per spent tub. I'd never heard of such. Our local co-op is allowing $4 per, as a credit toward certain other purchases.
I'm not sure what all is allowed, but I did confirm that the credit can be used when buying other tubs and/or feed products.
Not sure if it applies when going in to purchase tobacco or work gloves.

No matter, I've got about 20 spent ones, so I'll be trading next week. Offer is good for month of August.

Friend of mine feeds a bunch of tubs. They keep them out for around 500 hd for 6 months or so. He sells them for $4. I thought he was crazy but I never see them stacked up at his barn anymore.

That's a nice shop you got there. What biz you in?

My neighbor gives them to us for free, I won't be telling her about the $4 deal. We use them as water tubs for the horses and my wife uses some to garden in.

I used a dozen small aircraft tires to assist burning a donkey a few weeks ago. Most smallish aircraft tires aren't steel belted, and the jenny didn't care.

I've been buying those tubs for $7 and having to go from the Gulf Coast to Oklahoma to get some. A lot of people use them for gardening. I wish you were closer, I could use some more tubs.

I sure wish someone would make lids for them. I keep feed in them and stack another one on top to make it critter proof.
We buy some black tubs that are about 1/2 as tall as the bigger ones and they come with a lid. Way handier and have allot more uses. Especially if you live in dirt dobber territory.

I sure wish someone would make lids for them. I keep feed in them and stack another one on top to make it critter proof.
Copy this: Set a tub precisely upside down on a like tub, (handle to handle) Drill hole (s) through both rims (size is up to you)
You can bolt, pin, wire or adjustable chain link them together. A tub will hold approximately four 6 gallon oil buckets of loose feed.
You can fill the bottom tub with loose feed and set 2 full buckets on the feed and close and latch the top. If done properly you should
have no problem with rain. Do not expect this to work if livestock can get to the tubs. coons should pose no problem.
If it looks like rain I will have a couple of this combination in a separate pen in case I can't get in with the pickup.
It's the getting out that is the problem.. Or you can spend X hundred dollars on a bulk feeder and hope your little dab of calves
get it eaten before it succumbs to the weevils and mold. Or figure something out on your own ....... good luck!

Our customers like the Bio-degradable tubs. They buy them by the 25 ton truck load.
They don't have to gather them all up because they do degrade really well.

We buy some black tubs that are about 1/2 as tall as the bigger ones and they come with a lid. Way handier and have allot more uses. Especially if you live in dirt dobber territory.

I have some black ones that are full size, with sturdy lids. They're mighty handy for storing stuff that I don't want the mice (and dirt daubers) to get into, and for stacking them.

I've been buying those tubs for $7 and having to go from the Gulf Coast to Oklahoma to get some. A lot of people use them for gardening. I wish you were closer, I could use some more tubs.

I have four of them on the patio with guppies and ornamental shrimp.

I use them for gardening, too, but I also will drill a small hole (3/8") and fill the tub to water my trees slowly. I will also put an automatic float on them and use it as a water tub for 1 - 3 head. No point in using a large water trough. My dogs love the water tubs in the summer, too.

Latest posts