Valley Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa":301skdv8 said:
josh90":301skdv8 said:
They have the best service, and prices.. The vet charged me $40 for something that I could have got from valley vet for $21, and free shipping.

Having worked in veterinary clinics, I don't know what to think of this. You do remember that veterinarians are doctors, right? I'm trying to picture myself going to my physician's office and buying bandages or whatever and being surprised when they aren't as cheap as some outlet store.

Second, with all the years of schooling it takes to become a veterinarian, it's a downer when you realize how little you make compared to other professionals. Then to hear complaints about prices....and we wonder why we can't find large animal veterinarians any more.

I remember veterinarians going out in the middle of the night doing C-sections, etc in awful conditions - not really making a profit. Kind of have to price other things to make up for that.

I don't know what kind of vet you worked for but the ones around here do not make their money from meds; they make it from their actual services. An emergency c section in the middle of the night will cost you dearly..
We get all of our meds at cost plus 5% and some at cost plus shipping.. It is an added bonus they give us for using their services.

Valley Vet also requires a prescription from your vet to sell any non OTC meds. But if you can get pen anywhere why not buy it the cheapest, it is hard enough to break even so I do not know why you should be gouged. You are only as good as your relationship with your vet and unfortunalety some of the younger, new ones out there need a lesson on etiquette.

FWIW we cannot get VV here.

Sure we need large animal vets,but when I was in the fence business the vets always got several bids for the job.It's just the way it goes the vets here charge about 30-40% more than the local feed stores.

Should the vet find a way to make it(maybe do some small animal work)or should I get a job in town so he doesn't have to :?:

They are great.. I've been ordering from them since they had the "paper" catalog! We generally get an order in two days, which is really quick since we're in the middle of nowhere. You have to know what you're looking for, because some of the stuff doesn't have a great description, but a good selection of just about anything you need.

My UPS guy will still put stuff in the house for me! Fed Ex quit that about a year ago.. now they just stick it inside the gate at the road. :(

tom4018":28a4x96d said:
Just curious as to what the item was?

It was 500ml of agrimycin(oxytetracycline) for $40 which is $21 at valley vet with free shipping, and I have to drive 1hr just to get to a vet.

I've used VV before and like them, but I try to get 99% of everything animal-related from my vet. I know I end up paying a little more there than online - but - when he's also teaching me how to do a lot of things that I otherwise wouldn't learn until vet school, it's worth it to me. Keeps me on his good side.