vaginal prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

smallrancher

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and fairly new to beef cattle, however grew up in dairy and went to school for it. I have a hereford who is do for her second calf within the next couple of weeks and she has a vaginal prolapse. I know this is fairly common in dairy cattle, but she has a small amount of thick white mucous hanging there. Should I be concerned? Do you think she should be brought in and palpated?

Are you sure of her calving date? Has she prolasped before? Are you referring to seeing the uterus at the vaginal opening when she is lying down, or has tissue actually protuded outside of the vulva? The discharge may or may not be puss related to some infection. I would have her examined by a vet as soon as possible, or at least keep her in a smaller watch pen to keep an eye on her. Is she acting normal otherwise? (grazing, moving)

No she hasn't prolapsed before. Just going off the estimated date from the vet for her due date. Thanks for the info!

one of our cows prolapsed her uterus last year - vet put it back and sewed her up
this year if she was laying down in just the right position it looked as though she was falling out again -
we kept a close eye on her but she delivered a wonderful baby all by herself - no problem at all 8)

if you are uncomfortable get the vet to come and look - but be sure to watch her close no matter about the vet...

Latest posts