Vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
My herd is vaccinated with Cavalry 9. I began with a dose on 2/24/20, and did the revaccination 3 weeks after as recommended on the bottle. My question is, now I just administer an annual booster, correct? And would I administer that booster a year from the initial vaccine, or a year from the 2nd dose? I have a multi dose bottle that I used in February to vaccinate. I asked my vet if it is ok to use later as long as it is within the expiration date and she said it should be fine. What do you all think?

I have only vaccinated them with cavalry 9, but I have a cow that we just AI'd. What sort of vaccines/vitamins do you recommend I give her and her future calf? And giving the Cavalry 9 is safe for bred cows because it is a killed virus, correct?

How often do you recommend deworming?

I have a very small closed herd but obviously want the best for them. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I am not familiar with your vaccines. I assume the cavalry includes the clostridial diseases and maybe Lepto. Our manufactures say it is safe to use from an open bottle for about 30 days if you were hygenic drawing from the bottle. I guess this is the period that they are confident that the bacteriostats etc they put in will be working without being exhausted. I personally use these open multidose bottles the following year but are very carefull drawing from them. I don't like using a gun on them as the hole is too big in my opinion and never reseals properly when withdrawn. I put a 22g needle in and leave it there to draw up using single syringes. Puncturing with every dose just forcibly contaminates the bottle no matter how carefull you are, every penetration increases your risk of contamination.

Ken

My herd is vaccinated with Cavalry 9. I began with a dose on 2/24/20, and did the revaccination 3 weeks after as recommended on the bottle. My question is, now I just administer an annual booster, correct? And would I administer that booster a year from the initial vaccine, or a year from the 2nd dose? I have a multi dose bottle that I used in February to vaccinate. I asked my vet if it is ok to use later as long as it is within the expiration date and she said it should be fine. What do you all think?

I have only vaccinated them with cavalry 9, but I have a cow that we just AI'd. What sort of vaccines/vitamins do you recommend I give her and her future calf? And giving the Cavalry 9 is safe for bred cows because it is a killed virus, correct?

How often do you recommend deworming?

I have a very small closed herd but obviously want the best for them. Thanks so much!
Per the Cavalry 9 manufacturer's label: "Store at 35°-45°F (2°-7°C). Do not freeze. Use entire contents when first opened."

Cattle generally need vaccines for respiratory diseases and reproductive/breeding diseases as well. IBR, BVD, PI3, BRSV, Lepto, Vibrio, Pasturella, etc. Ask your large animal/cow vet to recommend a complete vaccination program for your location and situation. Then read the drug labels for each vaccine. Many discussions on the forum if you search for "vaccines".

The Calvary is only vaccinating for clostridials. More important is the respiratory & reproductive diseases, like simme said - IBR, BVD, PI3, BRSV, Lepto & Vibrio.
When the manufacturer recommends an annual booster, it can be given at your convenience within that yearly time. In other words, pick a month of the year that works for your herd yearly workup.
Deworming is usually recommended 2 x year. Your herd should have loose mineral available 24/7/12. Mineral salt blocks will never provide needed minerals.
Killed vaccines are "safer" but MLV are safe if you pay attention to your management. Heifer calves should receive 2 doses of MLV prior to breeding. After that you can vaccinate her anytime with the MLV and be safe. But, since it can affect her ability to settle at breeding if given within 30 days of breeding - I vaccinate my spring calving cows in the fall with MLV and my fall calving cows in the spring. As long as they received their shots within 12 months, they can be given at any stage of pregnancy. If your cows are vaccinated with MLV, you can use MLV on your calves while nursing.
I use BoviShield 5L5HB (if using a bull use BS 5L5VHB - with vibrio).

You should be asking these questions of your herd veterinarian. BQA is a good way to get these discussions started and facilitate adequate herd health records. Do not continue to search for answers until you find what you want to hear.

Latest posts