Vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

Dohcvtec

Reaction score
What everyone doing as far as vaccines on their new calves? I live in iowa and have asked my vet this question but he is not the best at answering these type of questions. I have heard some say they vaccine right when they are born and others say to wait a while before giving vaccines. We are new to cattle and wanna get as much info as possible to have healthy calves out of our heifers. First one is due mid March

I like Butch's program.

All my cows calve in the fall. I am going to start using Inforce 3 next fall when I calve. Here is what I am learning this winter. You can fight bacterial infections with antibiotics but if you have a viral diarrhea or viral respiratory infection, you can only provide food, fluids and shelter until the babies develop immunity.

The best way to help provide that immunity is using viral vaccines. Next fall, I am going to throw every viral vaccine I think they need at them. I have not lost a calf this winter but the constant cold rain has been a lot of stress.

Son of Butch":3esjbrwl said:
inforce 3 first week (1cc in each nostril) and wait 6 weeks before giving Nuplura or any other vaccines
in the past we have given calf guard (oral) asap after birth for coronavirus and rotavirus scours
Alpha 7 at 3-6 months
Pyramid 5 + Presponse @ 6 months

Helpful Cattle Vaccine Charts
https://www.leedstone.com/chart-cattle-vaccines/

Agree with this. I give alpha and in force before pasture turnount. Used intranasal pneumonia vaccine Once PHM IN this year then and really helped. No sick calves at all while a lot of people around me had problems due to wet hot year.

Dohcvtec":nzj55md4 said:
Do I need to give any vaccines to the heifers themselves right now before they calve

You may want to consider Scour Bos, only because a heifers immunity isn't as strong to protect against scours. Plan B to protect the calves is a First Defense bolus (or something similar).

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... h%20(Broad)&utm_term=%2Bscour%20%2Bbos%20%2B9&utm_content=Scour%20Bos%209&kwid=25503485941x4170967940x28855982

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_results.html

TCRanch":15mrixdd said:
Dohcvtec":15mrixdd said:
Do I need to give any vaccines to the heifers themselves right now before they calve

You may want to consider Scour Bos, only because a heifers immunity isn't as strong to protect against scours.
Plan B to protect the calves is a First Defense bolus (or something similar).
+1
yes... the colostrum produced by a heifer is never as good or strong as the colostrum of a cow.

So just visited with my vet and this is what he recommended let me know what you guys think.
For the heifers he said give scour guard 4kc now then again in about 4 weeks. And for the calves he said nothing at birth and inforce 3 and alpha 7 at 3-4 weeks old

Its not a vaccine, but a selenium shot at birth is pretty cheap insurance, especially if your area has low selenium levels.

Dohcvtec":kmf2fi5e said:
So just visited with my vet and this is what he recommended let me know what you guys think.
For the heifers he said give scour guard 4kc now then again in about 4 weeks. And for the calves he said nothing at birth and inforce 3 and alpha 7 at 3-4 weeks old
Sure... but you'll still want to do some sort of IBR BVD pi3 vac after 4 - 6months
Our vet suggested we should add a pasteurella vac last year and we didn't.
After reading bmoore's post it reminded me of what our vet said and thinking we'll be adding 'Once PHM IN' this year
at around 6 weeks.

p.s.
Alpha 7 more often than not will leave a vac lump on the neck, so booster after 4 months gives you 2nd lump.

So this is where I'm at after talking with you guys and my vet I decided my best option would be to talk to my ai guy and see what he says.. so I set up a meeting with him for next week but he said he's willing to show me everything he knows and will set me up with everything I need to know as far as vaccines and all... so I'm pretty excited he's willing to show me all this and I have my pen and paper ready to write down as much information as I can

Latest posts