Vaccines and exposure

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
OK, I have my 7 cows and their 7 calves. Healthy, no problems. The landlord brings in 35 feeder steers and everything seemed ok. Then a couple of the steers had snotty noses, a little wheezing. One looked snotty enough I separated all of my girls and my calves in a smaller lot with a pasture between them and the feeder steers. Background, about a month ago, before the steers came in, all of mine including the calves were vaccinated, the girls had vision 20/20 7 way. After we separated them yesterday, we also gave the calves a round of pyramid 5 +. This morning, one of the steer calves was dead. All of mine look OK but I am scared to death of what they were exposed to. What should I do? I can't move them, but I will keep them separated as long as needed. My bull comes in two weeks... The vet indicated my cows should be fine, just worried about the calves.

I would keep them as far apart as possible and cross my fingers.

I got 4 months of them sharing my pasture. the steer calves looked OK tonight, I will watch them since apparently no one else is, but I am not sure what the owner of them is going to do. Me? I would have everyone up the chute getting doctored, but I do not have that authority.

It may be an isolated death from blackleg or botulism or something like that. Keep yours isolated and watch out for more deaduns and don't stress, all will probably be OK.

Ken

I'd vaccinate the cows with pyramid too, if you haven't already, before you turn your bull out.

op did not give time frame as to arrival/death or age/size of the feeder steers, but appears all 35 feeder steers
got off trailer looking healthy then a day or two later 2 of them have respiratory problems indicative of shipping fever
and the following day one died
My bet is his cows and calves remain healthy.

Well, so far so good. The steers owner must have been out there because one of the steers still had a syringe gun thingy hanging out of it. All the steers looked ok today. Mine are looking good. I did find out the steers had two rounds of vaccines before coming here, so maybe it was a fluke...I will turn mine out to the ajoining pasture, but not with the steers, maybe tonight. Will still keep them separated. I have no other place to keep them, pasture is a rare find around here, either to buy or rent. there is nothing...

garnetann":37ptjyht said:
Well, so far so good. The steers owner must have been out there because one of the steers still had a syringe gun thingy hanging out of it. All the steers looked ok today. Mine are looking good. I did find out the steers had two rounds of vaccines before coming here, so maybe it was a fluke...I will turn mine out to the ajoining pasture, but not with the steers, maybe tonight. Will still keep them separated. I have no other place to keep them, pasture is a rare find around here, either to buy or rent. there is nothing...
2 rounds of vaccine won;t do squat for shipping fever. A strong healthy disposition will, it ehlps them to keep from being stressed by the moving selling crowding, etc BS that brings on shipping fever complex

2 rounds of vaccine with the last round given 4 weeks before shipping strengthens the immune system allowing
the calves to fight off respiratory problems related to shipping fever. It's not 100% effective however any cases will
at least be milder. Weaning, shipping and giving 2nd round all on the same day is a recipe for disaster.

Latest posts