Vaccines Again

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Most vaccines state to store them at 35 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit (2 to 7 degrees celsius). DO NOT FREEZE. I keep my vaccines in a small refrigerator at the shop building. The building is unheated so eventually reaches ambient air temperature. We recently had about 10 days when it was below freezing getting as low as 10 degrees F on one of the coldest nights. Of course, in side may stay a couple of degrees warmer. The refrigerator is insulated and probably keeps the temperatures a little higher. What do you think the chances are that the vaccines are compromised? I checked the vaccines a couple of times during the cold snap and they were still fluid. I could answer this question on these facts but I am really wondering if anyone knows what the safety margin is on these vaccines. Generally speaking, going to the up side in temperature would be more concern for altering the qualities of an organic system. These are unopened vaccines and I had about 6 vials with about 10 doses each. Toss em or what?

Never used one of these things, but my vet has one in his refrigerator--dunno which brand. As much as vaccines cost, seems like pretty cheap insurance. I think Macon deals with semen tanks and such--he may be able to recommend a good data logging thermometer as well.
As I understand it- most of them just keep a log and you plug the thing into the usb port of your computer and the supplied software (comes with it on some--optional purchase on others) displays the history. A couple I looked at required a docking station that provides the interface to your computer.
(I set the search parameter for "under $100")
http://www.instrumart.com/categories/50 ... Filters=67

Latest posts