Vaccine OD question

Help Support CattleToday:

okiek

Reaction score
I had a group of 30 3 month old calves to work this morning. I asked my wife to get me another bottle of Covexin 8 last week because I knew I'd run out. They were out so she got Cavalry 9 (Also by Merck). Sure enough, with 5 calves left to vaccinate I ran out. Like an idiot, I grabbed the Cavalry 9 and filled a syringe. I continued vaccinating and gave 5 more calves 5cc each of Cavalry 9. At the end of the day I realized the dosage on Cavalry in 2cc as opposed to the 5 cc of Covexin. With it being just over double dose I'm a little concerned. Will there be any harm beyond the $ loss?

By the way I tried calling Merck but can't find a line they will answer before Monday.

I dont think it will matter. When they are testing those vaccines, they give calves like 10 and 20 times the dose to see if it will kill them. I dont think what you did will make any difference.

Will there be any harm beyond the $ loss?
Highly unlikely your "overdosage" will cause problems as Darcelina stated.That said, clostridial vaccines are notorious for causing injection site irritation so those that received more than required might have a notable lump which may or may not subside. Long way from their heart. ;-)

Thanks for the replies. Injection site lumps never worry me and it is definitely a long way from their heart! In my 40 years of vaccinating horses and cattle I never remember making an overdose of vaccine quite that bad. That one concerned me a little!

You won't have a problem other than maybe more local irritation. When working out the dose for the vaccine it is more about the minimum dose that will provide a reliable immune response so they will start off with a much higher dose and reduce it until they get the lowest dose that produces the response so higher doses would be well and truly tested out before you did.

Ken

MurraysMutts said:
Might hold those a bit more than 45 days..
Being 3 months old I'm sure that's the plan anyway but I bet withdrawal time will be more.
Withdrawal time for both Covexin & Cavalry is 21 days. I'd be surprised if overdosing the later by a "mere" 3 cc's would necessitate an additional withdrawal time. If in doubt, confer with the respective manufacturer.
FWIW I prefer Calvary because of the lower dosage and hence reactivity factor.

I think I like the idea of the smaller dosage (Especially if it saves $) I just have to learn to read the new label before I have cattle in the chute!!! Thanks again everyone!!

I find it helpful to boldly write the route of adminstration & dosage on the bottle label with a fine tip permanent marker e.g. SQ/2 cc etc.

76 Bar said:
MurraysMutts said:
Might hold those a bit more than 45 days..
Being 3 months old I'm sure that's the plan anyway but I bet withdrawal time will be more.
Withdrawal time for both Covexin & Cavalry is 21 days. I'd be surprised if overdosing the later by a "mere" 3 cc's would necessitate an additional withdrawal time. If in doubt, confer with the respective manufacturer.
FWIW I prefer Calvary because of the lower dosage and hence reactivity factor.

See?
I learnt sumthin today!

Altho 3cc overdose is more than double the prescribed dose

If it is for the 5 common things like blackleg etc like our common vaccines, I would not worry about the dose being over. I would still call the company if your not familiar with the contents.

Locally I am not aware of different strengths in the brand I get, it is just different dose rate for sheep too cattle, seeing some sheep can be as large as young calves, logic tells me it not an exact dose & I have not read any dire warnings anywhere about over dose, they def say things about under though...and companies prob have that covered too.

If you think a 150lb calf or a 1600lb adult get the same dose, that there says it is not overly toxic *too me*.

greggy said:
If it is for the 5 common things like blackleg etc like our common vaccines, I would not worry about the dose being over. I would still call the company if your not familiar with the contents.

Locally I am not aware of different strengths in the brand I get, it is just different dose rate for sheep too cattle, seeing some sheep can be as large as young calves, logic tells me it not an exact dose & I have not read any dire warnings anywhere about over dose, they def say things about under though...and companies prob have that covered too.

If you think a 150lb calf or a 1600lb adult get the same dose, that there says it is not overly toxic *too me*.
Good logic there Greggy.

Ken

76 Bar said:
I find it helpful to boldly write the route of adminstration & dosage on the bottle label with a fine tip permanent marker e.g. SQ/2 cc etc.

I guess that means you're old enough to need reader too !!! HA I do the same thing but didn't realize she bought something different until I was in the middle of vaccinating. The bottle she bought had the dosage written by a 14 year old kid with eyes better than mine!! It wasn't till I got back home and put my "eyes" on I noticed where I'd gone wrong.

A reader? :lol2: I got em stashed all around the house AND the barn as well! I get that real estate is limited on 100cc and smaller containers but it drives me nuts when you need a magnifying glass to read the instructions on larger bottles. My other pet peeve are assorted products whose usage info is found not on the label per se but in the form of a package insert. :bang:

I completely agree on that package insert thing. That's what started me writing on the bottle label with a sharpie. I can't tell you how many times I've had to look on the net to find dosage after I threw an insert away!!

You're indeed a kindred soul. ;-)
I wised up long ago and put pertinent info for the products I use on an excel work sheet. Review it prior to processing and make a note of those that I intend to use on any given day. Saves me from unnessary aggravation and ensures correct dosage.

76 Bar said:
You're indeed a kindred soul. ;-)
I wised up long ago and put pertinent info for the products I use on an excel work sheet. Review it prior to processing and make a note of those that I intend to use on any given day. Saves me from unnessary aggravation and ensures correct dosage.

We're practically twins! Except in addition, when working cattle all my vaccines are pre-filled in disposable syringes/needles with the type of vaccine, dosage, SQ/IM boldly printed on Ziplock freezer bags AND a printed Excel sheet for everyone to see that details everything and any exceptions.

Oh, and I also keep readers stashed in the glove box of each Polaris ;-)

Latest posts