vaccine follow-up

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
The farmer I bought my heifers from gave then modified live viral vaccine last fall, if I give them a killed viral vaccine this year do I need still need to give follow up vaccine in three weeks? Thanks

ugabulldog":t2mqc3sh said:
The farmer I bought my heifers from gave then modified live viral vaccine last fall, if I give them a killed viral vaccine this year do I need still need to give follow up vaccine in three weeks? Thanks

There are more than one MLV vaccine. For example, there is a MLV vaccine for scours to cover Rotaviruses and Corona Viruses. There is also a MLV vaccine for the 5 fetal protection (FP) viruses - IBR, BVD (types 1 and 2), BRSV, and PI3.

I assume you mean the FP MLV, an example is Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5. If he properly vaccinated, your heifers need the annual vaccination. One annual booster is what is required for FP. You should be protected with one shot.

However, you did not mention whether he included Leptospira in his vaccine. Many FP vaccines do not include Leptospira. I would ask him. BTW, initial vaccination for Leptospira requires two vaccinations approximately 30 days apart. Some MLV FP vaccinations only require one initial vaccination.

yes, he used Bovishield Gold 5, so only one killed vaccine annually if I read this correct? Thanks again.

ugabulldog":rti2vehd said:
yes, he used Bovishield Gold 5, so only one killed vaccine annually if I read this correct? Thanks again.

You are more than welcome. Leptospira is widespread. Might want to think about using Spirovac or Leptoferm, etc.

Are they bred? Or do you just not like MLV. Just wondering why the change? MLV is all I use, I know it's all debatable. Killed says booster 14 to 28 later so 2 rounds ID say most don't do. MLV booster annually so 1 round unless you booster the spirovac which I'd say most don't do.

bse":2jfg9hm1 said:
Are they bred? Or do you just not like MLV. Just wondering why the change? MLV is all I use, I know it's all debatable. Killed says booster 14 to 28 later so 2 rounds ID say most don't do. MLV booster annually so 1 round unless you booster the spirovac which I'd say most don't do.

My same thoughts.

bse":2ah3q3zm said:

I have a small herd so I figure the unused MLV will be wasted but I refrig unused killed and use the next year, it should still be good right?

ugabulldog":1o2g5r0u said:
bse":1o2g5r0u said:

I have a small herd so I figure the unused MLV will be wasted but I refrig unused killed and use the next year, it should still be good right?

That is not recommended.

First, did you use a sterile needle each time you recharged your syringe? If the answer is not, then you introduced microorganisms into the vaccine.

Second, even if you used a sterile needle each time you recharged your syringe, bacteria suspended in particulates settle on the seal and are pushed into the vaccine by the sterile needle.

Third, it is a law of physics, elements seek their state of lowest energy. Meaning that compounds breakdown. A year is pushing it. If you hold an attenuated or killed bacterin or a toxoid for a few weeks, you are not taking on too much risk but if you are holding for a year, the risk that the vaccine is compromised is great. Spend "A Few Dollars More" and drop the risk!

Margonme":1p6i0ovz said:
ugabulldog":1p6i0ovz said:
bse":1p6i0ovz said:

That is not recommended.

First, did you use a sterile needle each time you recharged your syringe? If the answer is not, then you introduced microorganisms into the vaccine.

Second, even if you used a sterile needle each time you recharged your syringe, bacteria suspended in particulates settle on the seal and are pushed into the vaccine by the sterile needle.

Third, it is a law of physics, elements seek their state of lowest energy. Meaning that compounds breakdown. A year is pushing it. If you hold an attenuated or killed bacterin or a toxoid for a few weeks, you are not taking on too much risk but if you are holding for a year, the risk that the vaccine is compromised is great. Spend "A Few Dollars More" and drop the risk!

OK, will do!... Thanks.

You can get alot of MLV in 5 dose, if you have 3 and waste 2 doses you will still be dollars ahead of boostering killed.

bse":274a1d3j said:
You can get alot of MLV in 5 dose, if you have 3 and waste 2 doses you will still be dollars ahead of boostering killed.

Zoetis puts out its Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 L5 in 5 dose bottles for about 12 dollars. That is how I buy it. It reduces waste and covers both the FP viruses and the Leptospira viruses.

Latest posts