Vaccine caution

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I saw a man in the local farm store that said he had 25 cows abort because he used the wrong type lepto vaccine. Make sure you check with your vet before injecting your cattle with anything . Live , modified live , and killed vaccines can be hard to understand and potentially deadly .

I have never seen a live Lepto. Was this in combination with another type? Like a 4 way combo. I always use an oil base that says it is safe in preg. cows.

Scotty

Bovishield Gold 5 L5 and Bovishield Gold FP 5 L5 are both modified live vaccines that include the 5 strains of Lepto.

Because Lepto is neither a virus nor a bacteria it is not understood fully. The actual organism is a spirochete and is accumulated in the kidney.

In fact there is a new strain of the "Hardjo" lepto strain that was just discovered recently and there is only one vaccine that will combat it. "Spiro-vac".

It would be wise to study up on the lepto vaccines before inoculating bulls, cows, or calves.

Also, cattle with lepto can be cured in some instances with anti-biotics.

milkmaid":3iythk1w said:
Bovishield Gold 5 L5 and Bovishield Gold FP 5 L5 are both modified live vaccines that include the 5 strains of Lepto.

The 4 way part of those is but not the lepto part. The Gold FP L% is what I use but follow with a Vibrio and the Spirovac in 3 weeks. I have also used Leptofirm.

Scotty

Scotty":7mt96g81 said:
milkmaid":7mt96g81 said:

The 4 way part of those is but not the lepto part.

You're right...I didn't realize that until now. When folks talk about Bovishield Gold it's always called a MLV and I just assumed the whole vaccine was. Interesting, and thanks.

milkmaid":jotv72og said:
Scotty":jotv72og said:
milkmaid":jotv72og said:

The 4 way part of those is but not the lepto part.

You're right...I didn't realize that until now. When folks talk about Bovishield Gold it's always called a MLV and I just assumed the whole vaccine was. Interesting, and thanks.

Its a good program to use. If you can emplement it I an rocomend it.

Scotty