Vaccinations

Help Support CattleToday:

Blackcross781

Reaction score
i have bought 14 breed heifers last week and 3 have calved so for, the gentleman's wife has no idea what has been used in past for vac's. the husband has passed away, all heifers are healthy and the registration paper work states they are 24 months old and good calves so far. i live in northeast texas what would be the best way to continue with vac's as far as what to use now? i am still learning, thanks

Your local vet is another good source for education. Mine tells me what I need and then I buy it from him. Typically he is cheaper on the meds then anywhere else around.

Do you have a large animal veterinarian that you use? If so, get him to help you develop a herd health plan based on what he sees in the area. As mentioned before, your county Extension agent may have a generic herd health guide.

Blackcross781":183izyt1 said:
i have bought 14 breed heifers last week and 3 have calved so for, the gentleman's wife has no idea what has been used in past for vac's. the husband has passed away, all heifers are healthy and the registration paper work states they are 24 months old and good calves so far. i live in northeast texas what would be the best way to continue with vac's as far as what to use now? i am still learning, thanks

Can the seller provide you with the name of the Vet that her husband used. The vet may know what has or hasn't been done with that herd. Even if the owner did his own vac, the vet may still be able to give you some insight into the owners herd management approach.

Thanks all for the help, we are new to the area so will have to find vet, but the county extension people in red river have been real helpful with the land development we have been doing. i'll try them as well Thanks again

I would focus on finding either the vet the previous owner used, if nearby, or establish a relationship with a good large animal vet in your area. Ask around for the name of a good one from other cattle folks in your area.

Personally I don't think it matters a hoot what they had or may have had as shots in the past. Just start out assuming they have had nothing and have your vet suggest and hopefully administer what he suggests for your area. Don't forget to pour/deworm them.

Do you have some sort of pen or facility to work them or at least get them single file so you vet can back his chute up to an alley, etc?

Good luck.

Jim

Latest posts