vaccinations

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been preparing to vaccinate my small herd, I watched the video on you tube that NOVATECH posted(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMQC0gYH ... re=related).I have dial up so it took a while. Anyway I called the vet on questions about what I needed. The receptionist Asked the vet & then relayed to me. 7WAY, LEPTO, LA200. The 7way has the black leg, the LA200 was for a steer w/ pink eye. There are a total of 11, 1 steer, 6 heiffers, 4 cows. This morning I got the four cows into my corral, the calfs are in the barn. I had asked a friend to come assist me. He is knowlegable. His farther had gotten ill & is in the hospital. So I carried on. I was reall nervous, as if to inject the calf & say it's been nice knowing you :cry: . Luckily my friend came driving up as I was loading the needles. (to catch you up, it's took 2 weeks to get this far, lots of other issues w/family going on). Ok he gets out w/his farther in law from Mississippi. He ask if i'm ready, I say "not really".He explains how to tent the skin on the neck & give the injection. the LEPTO is intramuscular. He wants to give it in the lower hind quarter. I explain about the viedo. He stated that it was my first time and that his way would be safer, I agreed. I have an old head gate & a homade chute. (keep this in mind) The plan was for him to run them down the alley, his father in-law to place a pipe behind them, & for me to catch them. Sounded like a good plan. The first cow is coming, inlaw inserts pipe, I close gate, the cow is caught. I took my hand off of the lever & turned to get a syringe, loud noise, and the cow is loping off. I hear what happend, me "I don't know. Lets try again, me "OK". Same thing happend. Friend says that this is a good time to learn how to operate a head gate :x . The darn thing is supposed to be automatic. There is no telling how old it is. So I figure out that if I hlod down on the lever, it stays closed. Friend agrees. We try the third cow, My fault misjudged the size of her head/horns. Friend says "from my view this is really funny, hey call them back and ask if they want to do this tomorrow". :D Fourth cow, I actually caught her. It's a miracle. I wormed her w/pour on & gave the lepto shot. Then realized at that instant that I had screw up. She is pregnant, So this is supposed to abort the calf. Right? Well luckily I caught the rest of the calfs and got them w/the lepto, 7-way, And the steer w/the same plus the LA200. So I'm possibly down one calf, I just keep shooting myself in the foot. All beatings will be accepted, Thanks to all in advance. Dan

daniel.carver":3u3wyx7y said:
Hi All,
I've been preparing to vaccinate my small herd, I watched the video on you tube that NOVATECH posted(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMQC0gYH ... re=related).I have dial up so it took a while. Anyway I called the vet on questions about what I needed. The receptionist Asked the vet & then relayed to me. 7WAY, LEPTO, LA200. The 7way has the black leg, the LA200 was for a steer w/ pink eye. There are a total of 11, 1 steer, 6 heiffers, 4 cows. This morning I got the four cows into my corral, the calfs are in the barn. I had asked a friend to come assist me. He is knowlegable. His farther had gotten ill & is in the hospital. So I carried on. I was reall nervous, as if to inject the calf & say it's been nice knowing you :cry: . Luckily my friend came driving up as I was loading the needles. (to catch you up, it's took 2 weeks to get this far, lots of other issues w/family going on). Ok he gets out w/his farther in law from Mississippi. He ask if i'm ready, I say "not really".He explains how to tent the skin on the neck & give the injection. the LEPTO is intramuscular. He wants to give it in the lower hind quarter. I explain about the viedo. He stated that it was my first time and that his way would be safer, I agreed. I have an old head gate & a homade chute. (keep this in mind) The plan was for him to run them down the alley, his father in-law to place a pipe behind them, & for me to catch them. Sounded like a good plan. The first cow is coming, inlaw inserts pipe, I close gate, the cow is caught. I took my hand off of the lever & turned to get a syringe, loud noise, and the cow is loping off. I hear what happend, me "I don't know. Lets try again, me "OK". Same thing happend. Friend says that this is a good time to learn how to operate a head gate :x . The darn thing is supposed to be automatic. There is no telling how old it is. So I figure out that if I hlod down on the lever, it stays closed. Friend agrees. We try the third cow, My fault misjudged the size of her head/horns. Friend says "from my view this is really funny, hey call them back and ask if they want to do this tomorrow". :D Fourth cow, I actually caught her. It's a miracle. I wormed her w/pour on & gave the lepto shot. Then realized at that instant that I had screw up. She is pregnant, So this is supposed to abort the calf. Right? Well luckily I caught the rest of the calfs and got them w/the lepto, 7-way, And the steer w/the same plus the LA200. So I'm possibly down one calf, I just keep shooting myself in the foot. All beatings will be accepted, Thanks to all in advance. Dan
trust me.. i wish id done it right enough in the past to be able too,, but ive had some circus acts in the past... two things i hate hayin' and workin' cattle,,,,, but i like looking at healthy cattle it cant all be rosey ;-)

Nope the pour on wormer wont abort the cow. If that is the case I would have 50-100 abort every year. Also, your friend is wrong. Due to beef quality assurance guidelines shots are to be given in the neck whether im or sq. Giving them anywhere else can create lesions on the carcass and more carcass loss due to the butcher having to trim that out. You are acutally losing money if you vaccinate them anywhere other than the neck.

I think sometimes all you can do is laugh and be thankful no one was hurt. We've had our share of circus acts and our working corrals are all wood so there have been a few times that whole sections of fence have come crashing down around us... Each time we learn something new and feel closer to where we want to be. One thing I do is get a clipboard ready ahead of time with a pen tied to it. I make a little chart with all the cattle going down the left side and all the shots going across the top. If there are any shots certain cattle shouldn't be getting, I black those squares out. As each animal comes into the chute, I double check what they should be getting and I check it off when I'm done. We obviously don't have as many cattle as some people, but that's what works for me.

daniel.carver":ghkm13by said:
Well luckily I caught the rest of the calfs and got them w/the lepto, 7-way, And the steer w/the same plus the LA200.

You are not going to lose the calf.

You should not vaccinate and administer LA200 (or any antibiotics) at the same time you vaccinate. The Vet's office should have told you that. You are going to need to start over in your vaccination program with that steer.

I now vaccinate in the neck, but for years my family vaccinated in the rear, never lost any money for it. But we sell calves at auction, not to a butcher, so I guess I dont know about that. Also, I try not to stack vaccines, but I have on many occasions vaccinated 7 way with LA200, and had no problems. I will usually follow up with the LA200 again in 72 hours for pinkeye. Good luck.

grubbie":3ss3ru49 said:
I now vaccinate in the neck, but for years my family vaccinated in the rear, never lost any money for it. But we sell calves at auction, not to a butcher, so I guess I dont know about that. Also, I try not to stack vaccines, but I have on many occasions vaccinated 7 way with LA200, and had no problems. I will usually follow up with the LA200 again in 72 hours for pinkeye. Good luck.

You won't have problems. You may was well shoot the vaccine into the ground tho.

Daniel, I hope you can look back on this episode and laugh - cause I did.

I don't know what kind of head gate you have but with mine holding down on the lever RELEASES the gate. Mine is an old QuickWay (I don't use it anymore - I have a squeeze chute now). Again, on my head gate you push the gate in toward the chute. When the animal's shoulders hit the gate they push out and snap into a lock position, hopefully capturing the animal. To release the animal you push down on the lever which releases the gate and it will swing out as the animal exits the contraption. All of this is the way it's supposed to happen but seldom does, especially if the animal has horns. Maybe yours looks more like a manual squeeze chute head gate where pulling down on the lever closes the gate in which case timing is everything! Even with that type there are or should be ratchets which keep the lever (and animal) locked in place until YOU decide it's time to release.

I know you don't think it's funny now but I sure got a chuckle. Learning always takes time and believe it or not the next time it will go a little better - not a lot, but a little. :lol:

lavacarancher":hqd76e35 said:
Daniel, I hope you can look back on this episode and laugh - cause I did.

I don't know what kind of head gate you have but with mine holding down on the lever RELEASES the gate. Mine is an old QuickWay (I don't use it anymore - I have a squeeze chute now). Again, on my head gate you push the gate in toward the chute. When the animal's shoulders hit the gate they push out and snap into a lock position, hopefully capturing the animal. To release the animal you push down on the lever which releases the gate and it will swing out as the animal exits the contraption. All of this is the way it's supposed to happen but seldom does, especially if the animal has horns. Maybe yours looks more like a manual squeeze chute head gate where pulling down on the lever closes the gate in which case timing is everything! Even with that type there are or should be ratchets which keep the lever (and animal) locked in place until YOU decide it's time to release.

I know you don't think it's funny now but I sure got a chuckle. Learning always takes time and believe it or not the next time it will go a little better - not a lot, but a little. :lol:
And even when you have been doing it for 50 years S--- happens. :nod:
Or maybe after that long you start to revert back?
:frowns:

Thanks for the replys all. next weekend I will get them back into the corral and rework that steer and the three cows that escaped. I decided to share that episode w/you because After it was all over, I was laughing so hard at my self, should have been on funniest home videos, but doubt they would laugh at it. You had to be there thing. Thanks again :banana:

daniel.carver":133qpvv1 said:
Thanks for the replys all. next weekend I will get them back into the corral and rework that steer and the three cows that escaped. I decided to share that episode w/you because After it was all over, I was laughing so hard at my self, should have been on funniest home videos, but doubt they would laugh at it. You had to be there thing. Thanks again :banana: [/quote]

That sounds like a plan. Good Luck!

Latest posts