Vaccinations

Help Support CattleToday:

redandblack

Reaction score
I bought 18 bred heifers last year, they all calved. Calves are 5-7 months old, gave all covexin 8 at 2-3 months of age. Plan on giving them another round of covexin 8 plus worming and IBR. I'm not sure what shots the previous owner gave the heifers. My question is will cattlemaster gold fp5 okay to give to calves? They are still nursing and cows should be 1-3 months bred? Can it cause them to abort?

Call your vet to be sure. That's why they went to school for so long. An answer here is convenient, but for something like that, that will cost you a calf crop possibly, find out FOR SURE.

Congratulations on your heifers. It sounds like you have been lucky with them so far. Don't screw up the streak.

redandblack":2eywiazj said:
I bought 18 bred heifers last year, they all calved. Calves are 5-7 months old, gave all covexin 8 at 2-3 months of age. Plan on giving them another round of covexin 8 plus worming and IBR. I'm not sure what shots the previous owner gave the heifers. My question is will cattlemaster gold fp5 okay to give to calves? They are still nursing and cows should be 1-3 months bred? Can it cause them to abort?

Cattlemaster Gold Fetal Protection 5 is safe for any cow, any calf at anytime. Cattlemaster is prepared just for your circumstances because although it contains one MLV component, the other components are killed or attenuated.

The only modified live component is BRSV. The BVD Types 1 and 2 are the components which can cause abortions in cattle not previously exposed to a Modified Live Virus vaccine. The BVD Types 1 and 2 comes as a Killed Virus. The IBR and PI3 components are chemically altered.

Based on your questions:
1. My question is will cattlemaster gold fp5 (be) okay to give to calves?
2. They are still nursing and cows should be 1-3 months bred?
3. Can it cause them to abort?

Answers
1. It is safe for calves.
2. It will not affect the cows they are nursing.
3. It is not a risk to cause abortion.

Consulting with your vet is a good idea as talltimber suggests.

Latest posts