Vaccinations for Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have Beef Master cattle. Last year I had the vet come out and give them their shots including worming injections. This year I want to do it myself but have not been able to find a recommended schedule for worming or recommended needed vaccines. <p>Is there such a list somewhere that gives you recommendations and indicates which shots are under skin and which are muscle injections?<p>I am also losing some hair on my bull and some of the cows. A couple had this symptom last year and the vet said it was lice and injected them and the problem cleared. Any suggestions?<p>Thanks for your help and I love this board. It is very imformative.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1x53vib3 said:
: I have Beef Master cattle. Last year I had the vet come out and give them their shots including worming injections. This year I want to do it myself but have not been able to find a recommended schedule for worming or recommended needed vaccines. <p>: Is there such a list somewhere that gives you recommendations and indicates which shots are under skin and which are muscle injections?<p>: I am also losing some hair on my bull and some of the cows. A couple had this symptom last year and the vet said it was lice and injected them and the problem cleared. Any suggestions?<p>: Thanks for your help and I love this board. It is very imformative.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

You can buy your vaccine your vet, as it is most likely to have been handled properly (refrigerated, etc.). Or, you can buy it though online catalogs or a local farm store. If you buy it from your vet, he or she will probably be most helpful regarding the vaccinations recommended in your particular area. The vaccines needed may vary depending on which part of the country you are in. <p>Basically, you need to vaccinate for respiratory diseases, sexually transmitted diseases, and give an 8-way injection. If your cows were properly vaccinated last year (two shots two weeks apart when given for the first time for most vaccines) they should only need one booster injection iof each vaccine this year. You might also consider vaccinating for Pink Eye just before the fly season starts. Some producers also vaccinate with Scourguard 3KC or an equivalent medication to boost a cow's immunity a few weeks before calving. <p>As for worming, some producers worm once per year and some, like us, worm twice a year. We have liver flukes in our area, so have to worm around the first of December (after the first killing frost) with Ivomec Plus. This is an injectable wormer that kills flukes as well as other parasites. Your other choices are pour-on wormers and other types of injectables. Not all wormers kill all worms. Again, take your veterinarian's advice. <p>The label on the vaccine bottle will tell you which to give SQ and which to give IM. <p><br>Lice are quite prevalent in the winter. A good pour-on wormer or an injectable will kill them. I like Ivomec as it has about a 30 day carryover effectiveness. <p>
<br>

Latest posts