Vaccinations at time of AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
I started my fall breeding on Thanksgiving Day. Bred my sixth animal at 4 pm yesterday.

I performed my fall vaccinations in late October. I added a custom made pinkeye vaccine to my program. It includes several strains of Moraxella local to this area. The custom vaccine requires a booster after the initial inoculation. Rather than run the herd through for one shot, I have been giving the booster at the time of AI.

I was informed that is not a good practice. The immune response to the vaccine can potentially lower the conception rate.

It makes sense but would not seem to be that significant. Is there anything to support this?

May not be ideal, but the primary concern, with regard to vaccination at time of insemination, is with injectible modified-live IBR/BVD vaccines, as both of these can transiently infect the ovaries.

Lucky_P":3t24bmz9 said:
May not be ideal, but the primary concern, with regard to vaccination at time of insemination, is with injectible modified-live IBR/BVD vaccines, as both of these can transiently infect the ovaries.

OK. Thanks. I plan to separate the two activities.

Ron I always get all my vaccinations over well before breeding but we don't have all the live vaccines that you have. With regard to the Pinkeye I would think that the major immune response would be with the 1st innoculation and the 2nd would produce a very quick response to boost the memory, probably no different to the cow being exposed to the virulent bug in the field over which we have no control, but if you can manage things differently then why not.

Ken

wbvs58":rswfg9o0 said:
Ron I always get all my vaccinations over well before breeding but we don't have all the live vaccines that you have. With regard to the Pinkeye I would think that the major immune response would be with the 1st innoculation and the 2nd would produce a very quick response to boost the memory, probably no different to the cow being exposed to the virulent bug in the field over which we have no control, but if you can manage things differently then why not.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I plan to hold off on the second booster until after breeding.

Ron would it not be best to vaccinate for pinkeye in the spring? Vaccines are more effective when given closer to the time of need. You could avoid the issue all together than at least with your pinkeye vaccine.

Baldie Maker":1c49bypj said:
Ron would it not be best to vaccinate for pinkeye in the spring? Vaccines are more effective when given closer to the time of need. You could avoid the issue all together than at least with your pinkeye vaccine.

The pinkeye vaccine is custom made for Dr. Darin Stanfield in Maysville. I ask him when to give it and he said now was the best time. He said he has seen some of the worse cases of pinkeye in winter when cows scratch their eyes ato the hay rings. He said two doses now would still be effective come spring. I have stopped vaccinating at time of AI. I will give the second dose after they settle.

Margonme":1dgrvy3d said:
I ask him when to give it and he said now was the best time. He said he has seen some of the worse cases of pinkeye in winter when cows scratch their eyes ato the hay rings. He said two doses now would still be effective come spring. I have stopped vaccinating at time of AI. I will give the second dose after they settle.

Oddly, I had a slug of pink eye last winter - late winter as well.