vaccination Schedules - Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

well i don't really follow a schedule for spring work'in cause the cow's may stay on hay a few weeks longer or shorter i wait to target it when their off hay and start'in just grass. spring's to unpredictable want to time my worming for it. but fall for me is alway's labor day weekend. i pull replacments off and work the cows

Hi!
Well, I'm not in Alabama but, here is what we do;

2nd week in May (two weeks prior to bull turn out)
BoviShield FP and Black leg on the cows + bulls
Phizer Gold on the calves + dectomax
hiefers get the Bovishield + dectomax
End of August, beginning of September
Calves get boosters with the Phizer Gold
October weaning or at preg chec
cows get decotmax
hiefers get dectomax and Eco star for scours
2 weeks prior to calving
all bred cows and hieffers get their ecostar for scours vaccination
8 weeks from there any cows not calved get another ecostar dose. but they are coming out with a does that lasts 12 week so we will switch to that hopefully.

rockridgecattle":3qv6p2gv said:
Hi!
Well, I'm not in Alabama but, here is what we do;

2nd week in May (two weeks prior to bull turn out)
BoviShield FP and Black leg on the cows + bulls
Phizer Gold on the calves + dectomax
hiefers get the Bovishield + dectomax
End of August, beginning of September
Calves get boosters with the Phizer Gold
October weaning or at preg chec
cows get decotmax
hiefers get dectomax and Eco star for scours
2 weeks prior to calving
all bred cows and hieffers get their ecostar for scours vaccination
8 weeks from there any cows not calved get another ecostar dose. but they are coming out with a does that lasts 12 week so we will switch to that hopefully.

I thought boosters were required to be within 14 days? Otherwise the vaccine does not work to 100% capability.

Your thoughts?

We are now strictly 8 way and a booster asap after calving. We Ivomec or similar in Dec.

Bez>

are you talking about the ibr bvd stuff or the scour guard? For the cow or the calf?
Our vet has okayed the spring and then late summer for the calves. It sort of makes it work for your system. Some people only give the shot in the spring and then let the feedlot do the rest. Or they day they wean and then let the feed lot pick up the peices.
We give the booster late summer because they are out on pasture, hard to get home until they come home to the home quarter to graze. Then they have the full antibodies for weaning.
If i remember correctly the vet said something like for the calves it's okay (not the ideal) to give the bosster later becasue they are covered under the mother's antibodies with the colostum for a few months. it's why they need a good dose of colostrum.
I think if i remember correctly after the first month of life the colostrum antibodies drops by half (half life) every month.

The phizer gold is ibr bvd type one and two, and a few other things, black leg 8 way and then a hemophoulus(?) and something else. three separate shots done at the same time.

the ecostar states on the bottle preg check in the fall for first timers and them booster just before calving to get the full immunity. And then yearly just before calving. This one wears off quickly. We just started scour guarding our cattle and we are glad we did it. the last couple of years we gave the calf an oral vaccine just before their first suck, kinda stressed out the cow and the calf and us too cause we had to be right their when they calved. we found it a little dangerous for us too.

Do you just eight way? Your eight way and then a booster after calving, is that for the cows or calves?

You mention you needle in May and boost in Aug / Sept - may just be the way I read it.

We shoot 8 way to cows and boost in 2 weeks right after calving - then breed. No longer use any live vaccines due to cost.

Calves get nothing until 6 months or weaning - which ever happens first and then it is 8 way and boost in two weeks.

Ivomec for winter - that's it that's all.

Just wondered why you waited so long to hit them with the second shot.

Regards

Bez>