Vaccination schedule?

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
What is you alls vaccination schedule? I have a cow calf program in Northern Missouri. We sell off the steers at about 9 months of age. I am just curious as to what we should be giving them shots of and how often. I am somewhat new to all this. Also how often should I de-worm, what do you guys use, and at what age to start? Thanks for the help

Your local vet would be the best source of information for your area. "Here" the pre-weaning shots include 7-way clostridial, pasteurella, IBR/BVD/PI3 and usually a topical wormer/fly control such as pour on ivermectin.

IMO, MLV vaccine is more "bang for the buck" than killed vaccine. Use MLV if and only if the cow is current on her own vaccinations within the previous year. If there is any doubt that the cow is current on her vaccinations, use a killed virus vaccine.

Mlv's should not be given to pregnant cows or calves nursing cows. Some may cause abortions. Most people that worm do so in the spring and fall. Talk to a vet in your area as to what you should be vaccinating for.

B&M Farms":1o1w52ac said:
Mlv's should not be given to pregnant cows or calves nursing cows. Some may cause abortions. Most people that worm do so in the spring and fall. Talk to a vet in your area as to what you should be vaccinating for.
If the cow has been previously vaccinated with MLV there are no problems.

Latest posts