Vaccination Schedule

Help Support CattleToday:

ENNOT

Reaction score
I am curious to find out what protocols eveyone uses on their cows. We usually only vaccinate our cows at weaning, but have thought about prebreeding vaccinations, next year. We are starting to get real busy and ran out of time to do vaccinations this spring before the bulls went out.

We vaccinate our cows prior to breeding with Breed Back 9. The heifer calves that we keep back will get that shot in the fall too. That is the only vaccination our cows get.

In the past we only did an 8 way shot, vibrio lepto, and pinkeye prior to breeding and calves got the same at 3 mths and at weaning. However just recently we were scolded by our vet. We are now supposed to be doing the following:
Cows & Bulls:
Prior to Breeding:
1) Bovishield 4+5L
2) Vibrio
3) Trichomoniosis

Durring the year:
1)8 way Clostridia every 6 months
2)Lepto 5 every 6 months

Calves:
Eight Weeks:
1)Cattlemaster 4=5L
2) 8 way Clostridial
3) Haemophilus Somnus/ Pasteurella

Twelve Weeks:
1) Bovishield 4=5L
2) 8 Way Clostridial
3) Haemophilus Somnus/ Pasteurella

That doesn't take into account the special vac. ie. pinkeye-scours-etc.

And deworming is to be done every 6 months. Once with injectable and once with pour on. And Ivomec is to be used in fall but can not be given after Nov. 15 to April 15. His reasoning is that there is a worm that will burrow into the spine if it is used. ?????? I have never heard of this before. Up until learning this we did use wormer after these dates. Never had a prob.
We are currently in the process of what to give and when. Do we go exactly off the vets sheet or do we come up with our own? We are torn....... How exactly do you get all this worked out and on a schedule especially with our decision to split our breeding season??????? Help for us to?!?!?! :?:

Double R Ranch":3k606sqo said:
And deworming is to be done every 6 months. Once with injectable and once with pour on. And Ivomec is to be used in fall but can not be given after Nov. 15 to April 15. His reasoning is that there is a worm that will burrow into the spine if it is used. ?????? I have never heard of this before.

In heel fly areas as the grub is migrating through the tissues of the host aniaml if they are killed when in some areas they can cause problems. If you search this site for "grub" you'll find several lengthy discussions of the subject.

dun

dun":1yrzm62y said:
Double R Ranch":1yrzm62y said:
And deworming is to be done every 6 months. Once with injectable and once with pour on. And Ivomec is to be used in fall but can not be given after Nov. 15 to April 15. His reasoning is that there is a worm that will burrow into the spine if it is used. ?????? I have never heard of this before.

In heel fly areas as the grub is migrating through the tissues of the host aniaml if they are killed when in some areas they can cause problems. If you search this site for "grub" you'll find several lengthy discussions of the subject.

dun

Thanks dun. I will do that.
Double R