vaccination in pasture cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

d-hoss,

All cattle should be vaccinated.

What is the difference if they are pasture grown,...feedlot grown...or....?....grown. Aflictions affect all.

It's always very wise to vaccinate ALL cattle whether or not they are in a closed herd or a changing herd. Insurance to protect your investment as well as to protect those who buy from you. Prevents health disasters as well as "ensures" your creditability as a cattle producer. "A penny saved is NOT a dollar earned" when it comes to livestock. ;-)

i never consider any herd closed as far as health is concered anyway. not with deer crossing and buzzards flying. and coyotes around their never without a threat and theres ticks and flies to deal with

It is cheaper to vaccinate than it is to doctor on sick cows. And you can buy a bunch of vaccine for the value of one dead cow.

The other thing is you get to pick the day to vaccinate. Picture, the sun shining and birds singing, a beautiful day. Cows will always pick the worse weather to get sick and need doctoring. Picture, 36 degrees, raining sideways, with mud up to your knee, in the dark with a dim flashlight.

I know when I would rather give shots.

ALACOWMAN":ewjj5ios said:
i never consider any herd closed as far as health is concered anyway. not with deer crossing and buzzards flying. and coyotes around their never without a threat and theres ticks and flies to deal with
===
An important point.

A closed herd is a... miss nomer... for health purposes.

Breeding maybe..., if the fences are good. The two are not to be mixed in cattle management.

ALACOWMAN":2myc2e8r said:

You are exactly right COWMAN. And now we have the feral hogs all over Texas too. Hogs are immune to just about everything but carriers of more things than you can imagine. They will eat dead cattle and anything else just like a buzzard would. Then they will come tearing up your property, wallowing in the stock tanks, and contaminating anything in their paths. The vets I talk to tell me hogs carry every disease there is.

I would innoculate all cattle you own. Use the simple 8-way if nothing else. It is pretty cheap to do.