VACCINATION FOR BRED HEIFERS

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
Do i vaccanate my 14 month old bred heifer. I've already done my other 2 non-bred heifers just not sure about a bred one. if so, is the vira sheild 6 the way to go?

THANKS, so its ok to go ahead and give a shot of the vira shield 6 what about ivermec?

Never used a MLV on bred heifers unless they have been vaccinated with that vaccine beforebeing bred.

I don't know whether Vira shield 6 is a killed vaccine or a MLV as I don't use it myself so you'd be better off to read the leaflet. Personally I'd wait another 3 months and not vaccinate a short bred heifer at all.

Ivomec is fine, you can give that.

Got this off there site: and now we know
INDICATIONS: For use in healthy breeding cattle, including pregnant cows and heifers, as an aid in the prevention of disease caused by infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR), bovine virus diarrhea (BVD Type 1 and BVD Type 2), parainfluenza Type 3 (PI3), and bovine respiratory syncytial (BRSV) viruses and Campylobacter fetus, Leptospira canicola, grippotyphosa, hardjo, icterohaemorrhagiae, and pomona. Produced from non-cytopathic (BVD Type 1 and BVD Type 2) and cytopathic (BVD Type 1) isolates.

ADJUVANT: Xtend® SP.

DIRECTIONS: Shake well before using. Administer 5 mL subcutaneously 2-4 weeks prior to breeding. In accordance with Beef Quality Assurance guidelines, this product should be administered subcutaneously (under the skin) in the neck. Revaccinate with Vira Shield® 6 in 4-5 weeks. Revaccinate annually or as recommended by your veterinarian.

PRECAUTIONS: Store out of direct sunlight at 2°-7°C (35°-45°F). DO NOT FREEZE. Use entire contents when first opened. Do not vaccinate within 60 days prior to slaughter. Transient swelling may occur at the site of injection. Milk reduction and transient depression may be observed in lactating dairy cows for 3-6 days following vaccination. Anaphylactic reactions may occur. Symptomatic treatment: Epinephrine. Contains amphotericin B, gentamicin, and thimerosal as preservatives.

Listen to Knersie. Regardless of what the label says, If its MLV, don't use it on a bred heifer. Get a killed vaccine and administer the required booster.

Depends how long ago she was bred... it's recommended to vaccinate 3-4 weeks (minimum) prior to breeding because vaccination often causes an increase in body temperature and therefore decreased conception rates. So if we're talking about vaccinating a 45+ day bred heifer, you'd probably be fine. She's far enough along that an increase in body temperature won't affect the embryo. Now, if we're talking about a heifer that was bred last week, then no. Don't do it.

And the others are right about MLV versus killed vaccines. I take it a step further, and never vaccinate a bred cow with a MLV even if she's been vaccinated with the same MLV in the past.

Bovisheild and several other of the MLV vaccines are safe to use on bred aimals regardless if they've been vaccinatied with it before. We've been doing it now for several years with no problems. If you're really paranoid about it, use a killed now and the next vaccination when she's open use a MLV. That way there is no worry about it.

dun":28aqscqt said:
Bovisheild and several other of the MLV vaccines are safe to use on bred aimals regardless if they've been vaccinatied with it before. We've been doing it now for several years with no problems. If you're really paranoid about it, use a killed now and the next vaccination when she's open use a MLV. That way there is no worry about it.

Not according to the leaflet.

I am sure its quite safe and is more a case of not wanting to accept liability incase something goes wrong, but according to the Bovishield leaflet only bred animals that has been vaccinated with it before are safe to be vaccinated.

KNERSIE":1pcp1jjf said:
dun":1pcp1jjf said:

Not according to the leaflet.

I am sure its quite safe and is more a case of not wanting to accept liability incase something goes wrong, but according to the Bovishield leaflet only bred animals that has been vaccinated with it before are safe to be vaccinated.

Since we use it I was under the impression it was one of them that was. I may have recorded the wrong stuff on the records too.

Latest posts