Vaccinating pregnant cows for blackleg?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Any one ever heard that if you vaccinate a pregnant cow for blackleg it will reduce her milk production after the calf arrives. Just wanting to know if its true or not.

gertman":3uznpw8m said:
Any one ever heard that if you vaccinate a pregnant cow for blackleg it will reduce her milk production after the calf arrives. Just wanting to know if its true or not.

BS

alacattleman":3v5uas6i said:
never done it,.... why would you want too? the cow should be over two years

That depends on whether you've had any reported cases on the property. The recommendation is to vaccinate all calves out of vaccinated cows before 6 months of age, to give a booster shot 4-6 weeks later and to give an annual booster untill 3 years of age. If you've had any blackleg outbreaks in the past its alot cheaper to vaccinate all cattle than to lose even one to blackleg.

And see, there are so many differences of opinions. Ask 12 ranchers or 3 vets and each one has a varied opinion. Our vet says vaccinate cows for blackleg. Maybe not every year but ever two or three years. Not due to outbreaks but to keep the antibodies up in the colostrum for the calves.

never had a case thank GOD , but my neighbor did..but ive always kept my replacements vaccinated........i guess im as bad as SIRLOIN thinking that everbody operates like me :p

twistedxranch":lw7i7x8g said:
alacattleman":lw7i7x8g said:
never had a case thank GOD , but my neighbor did..but ive always kept my replacements vaccinated

Yeah I hate the fact that my neighbor is to lazy and cheap to vaccinate his cows. He is a millionaire and is extremely tight with his money and to lazy to work his cows or hire anyone to do it. He also buys cows from the sale barn. Seems as though i see buzzards flying over his place at least once a month.
thats the part i hate, their dead cows that died from who knows what then the buzzards that drop on you when they fly over, or the yotes

back in the 80s we had a 6yr old cow dropp dead from blackleg.she went though the milk barn that morning an was milked.walked to the water trough got a drink an fell over dead.our vet said to vac all our grown milk cows dry an milking.said if we didnt we could loose more cows.so we vacced emm for 4 or 5yrs.an never lost anymore.

rockridgecattle":cyv8x4zb said:
And see, there are so many differences of opinions. Ask 12 ranchers or 3 vets and each one has a varied opinion. Our vet says vaccinate cows for blackleg. Maybe not every year but ever two or three years. Not due to outbreaks but to keep the antibodies up in the colostrum for the calves.

That is the same for us RR , I am pretty sure we use Pfizer Ultra Choice 8 way blackleg vaccine it is a killed vaccine. I have never had a problem whatsoever with milk production dropping.

Gert, check with your vet as well as other producers who vaccinate in your area, that will give you the best answer. Or you can also call the manufacturer they are usually good at answering all of a consumers questions.

Latest posts