Vaccinating newborn calves - am I an idiot?

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David":1l86q9v7 said:
I can work the calves with no trouble as I'm with them every day but they hold their ground with Susie. Had a heifer calve and the gals circled the wagons I was allowed to help but Susie had one of the heifers nudge her out of the calving area, not aggressive but just enough to make her move.
DMc

I have one high headed Pinzer cow left from my fall buys and I keep an eye on her. When we worked them for scour guard she gave me the look and then let me do my thing, but she would not allow the neighbor to work her. I don't plan touch her calf. If its a line back that should allow me to keep track of it. :(

This is one of the reasons I don't mess with the calves. This is Lucifer's sister. If there was such a thing as an EPD for motherly instinct and it went on a 1 to 10 scale - she would definitely be a curve-bender at 12. She is one heck of a ma though.

Babysitter.jpg

Jogeephus":1zuxx7zv said:
This is one of the reasons I don't mess with the calves. This is Lucifer's sister.

She's got that high-head look that tells you everything you need to know. I wouldn't mess with her calf...

Jogeephus":b8hypywd said:
This is one of the reasons I don't mess with the calves. This is Lucifer's sister. If there was such a thing as an EPD for motherly instinct and it went on a 1 to 10 scale - she would definitely be a curve-bender at 12. She is one heck of a ma though.

Babysitter.jpg

Nice mini-pine plantation in the background.

grannysoo":2f86py9r said:
Jogeephus":2f86py9r said:
This is one of the reasons I don't mess with the calves. This is Lucifer's sister.

She's got that high-head look that tells you everything you need to know. I wouldn't mess with her calf...
I would tend to agree with this post.
Looks like trouble looking for a place to happen.

I looked over my shoulder for a hole to hit.It's amazing how easy cows are to read after a few put you over or through a fence.Some people say hold your ground but a 1000 plus pound cow ain't very good odds to me.My 16 year old nephew just bought two head to run on the family farm with the rest of them he asked me what to do if one comes at you.I said all depends on how fast and how aggresvive all you can do is try to fool them into thinking your boss cause you really can't stop them.

Jogeephus":avra8mi6 said:

Babysitter.jpg
Notice how she is guarding all the calves, she is a good one to have in the pasture. That was the kind of cows I had about 20 years ago, they can let out the right kind of "beller " and the whole herd comes a-running, once I was chasing the calf, the cow was chasing me and the rest of the herd was chasing her and it was all in a circle. That probably would have been a video worth sending in. I always worked them by myself but then I was brought up by that old tough generation that didn't even stop to think about getting hurt. When I had the real bad ones I would throw the calves in the back of the truck.

She takes turns guarding with her sister. They both are excellent mamas but you really got to watch them. I've noticed that they have pretty wide flight zone in the pen and are really easy to work while penned. But on open ground its a different story as things are reversed from a flight zone to an attack zone. I quit messing with banding the young calves a few years ago when a neighbor who practiced this all his life got smushed by a "friendly" cow. He spent three weeks in the hospital and he is lucky someone found him. Since I do most of this type work by myself, I just don't think its worth the risk. I know everyone's situation is different but its still risky business if you go it alone.

Working around high-headed cattle is sort of like going hiking in bear country; you don't have to outrun the cow just have someone with you that you can outrun. ;-)

badaxemoo":cp5twjdj said:
So far none have acted aggressively.

But am I being an idiot?

Any tips?

I think this is one of those questions that varies from place to place and there isn't a blanket answer that fits everyone's operation. While I think the danger of getting hurt is real and should be recognized, I think the best answer can only come from you after you objectively weigh the benifits of gained from this practice against the potential costs. JMO