Vaccinating feeder cattle…?

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Getting 3 feeder calves from my neighbor. He doesn't vaccinate them however. How important is it that I vaccinate them, even though they will be finished out and butchered? I usually vaccinate my whole herd with Cavalry 9 which I know covers enterotoxemia, overeating disease. These calves will be grain fed for the last 2-3 months so I think vaccination would be wise. Ideas? Thanks!

In addition to the Cavalry 9 that you normally use it would be wise to also use a vaccine for respiratory issues.
This website give a good list of what to protect against.

In addition to the Cavalry 9 that you normally use it would be wise to also use a vaccine for respiratory issues.
This website give a good list of what to protect against.

While I agree with what J+ says, I would contact a local Vet or Extension Agent to see what vaccines need to be given in your area. Sometimes it varies by location.

At minimum, a good Clostridial bacterin/toxoid, like Cavalry 9 is in order. Respiratory vaccines... +/-, depending on what you and your vet discuss/decide, or based on your previous experiences, if you have any.

Some years back, I posted several really nice feedlot steers - there were more dead, they just brought in 3 - that were close to being finished... they'd been on feed for about 100 days.
Blackleg was the diagnosis on all three. Owner said he never vaccinated "Because it's so hard on them."
One hell of a lot less hard than dying, I think.

Actually look up the Vac45 programs. That is what the majority of feedlots want for incoming calves. That is basically what you plan to do is finish these steers. That makes you a very very small feedlot.

While I agree with what J+ says, I would contact a local Vet or Extension Agent to see what vaccines need to be given in your area. Sometimes it varies by location.
Exactly. My wife went to TSC to get a vaccine the other day and brought home a 7 way. I went back to town to get the 8 way. She questioned it, but I said that's what the vet uses, and then quoted this board back to her. What the vet uses is good for your area.

Getting 3 feeder calves from my neighbor. He doesn't vaccinate them however. How important is it that I vaccinate them, even though they will be finished out and butchered? I usually vaccinate my whole herd with Cavalry 9 which I know covers enterotoxemia, overeating disease. These calves will be grain fed for the last 2-3 months so I think vaccination would be wise. Ideas? Thanks!

I would give them ultrachoice-8 and pyramid 10 at a min if they were mine (heifers would get cattlemaster FP Gold FP5 L5). I would probably pour them also. Never know what they could be bringing into your land

Actually look up the Vac45 programs. That is what the majority of feedlots want for incoming calves. That is basically what you plan to do is finish these steers. That makes you a very very small feedlot.
Dave is right and that was my point, you should use a respiratory vaccine in addition to the 7 or 8 way clostridial vaccine. Typical conditions are the cattle are confined together in a lot and are exposed to dusty conditions, or dust from the feed. This seems to trigger respiratory issues which can quickly spread from one to the others. It's quicker and cheaper to vaccinate than it is to treat sick cattle and sick cattle don't gain weight.

J+ Cattle

Hit them with an 8-way for the Clostridials. Titanium 5, (or the like) + Haemophilus/Pasturella for the respritories. Worm them. If they come out of an pasture with snails in the water, use a wormer that kills fluke. And I give mine a shot of multi-min.

My question to original poster would be why would you not vaccinate the calves?
The man I got them from didn't vaccinate and I don't know why. I have always vaccinated mine with Cavalry 9, clostridial vaccine. Just seeking more info is all 😊. They are all getting vaccinated

Latest posts