Vaccinating cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Newmex2010

Reaction score
Each year I have vaccinated my cows with pour on in the spring. I use 8 way and Bovi Shield on my calves in the spring. In the Fall I use pour on, Bovi Shield and give a vitamin shot to my cows and replacement heifers. I revaccinate my steer calves with Bovi Shield when I wean. Does anyone have any suggestions as to anything that might work better or something I should add.

Thanks

You should probably vaccinate your cows against Lepto/Vibrio, and give your calve a blackleg booster at weaning, as well as worm them. I am assuming when you say pour on, that is a wormer, and not just an insecticide pour on for horn flies and face flies.

The main test for bovine TB in cattle is a skin test. The vet is looking to see if the cattle respond by developing a swelling at the test site; In other words they have developed an immune response to the test injection. Unfortunately, vaccinated animals would also respond to the TB test in a similar way to infected cattle. We would be unable to easily differentiate protected cattle from diseased cattle using this test.
Because vaccines are never 100% effective there would be a risk of infected cattle getting into the human food chain. It is more effective to eliminate 'reactors' from the herd.

However, DEFRA is currently researching the development of vaccines for both cattle and badgers. They are probably still a few years off though.

Latest posts