vaccinating calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not a vet, but the figures I have heard was from two months up. I will having my heifers bangs vaccinated at about six months of age, because that is when my dad did it. Your feed store man, or your vet can give you a better idea, and there are lots more knowledgeable people on this list who will also respond.

[email protected]

> Well, we just branded and vaccinated everyone for the spring, and our calves range from age 1 month to 3 months. They got alittle pouron, 8way and another shot. IF we kept any heifers, wed usually have them bangs vaccinated before winter sets in. (Justas long as its before 12 mo of age)

What is the ideal age to vaccinate
> calves?

[email protected]

It greatly depends on the products, BUT, MOST vaccines should not be given until AFTER 2-3 months of age. Prior to this, there can be immune complications because of the immune received after birth from the dams colostrum. If you are talking about nursing calves, you should be looking at killed vaccines vs Modified Live vaccines (not recommended for calves nursing cows). If you use killed vaccine - you must repeat most products in 2-4 weeks or it is a TOTAL waste of money. You get no response unless you give the booster. And if you give a killed product now (including the booster) it is recommended to give it again prior to or at weaning. Latest research is indicating that a killed vaccine only gives protection for about a month after booster. Pfizer has a MLV (Cattlemaster) that can be given to nusing calves, but like the killed - it requires a booster 2-4 weeks. But you will get much better protection. Everything depends on what your area needs protection from - which is a question for your vet - or other experienced cattlemen in your area. Jeanne
> What is the ideal age to vaccinate
> calves?

[email protected]

Something I heard that makes sense is; don't vaccinate your calves at the beginning of their weaning. They say they're stressed out enough at this time. Our vet recommends 4 mos. and older for vaccinations.

[email protected]

Latest posts