Vaccinate at AI time ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Midtenn

Reaction score
Trying to save trips through the chute.
Any problem with giving Vibrio Lepto (killed), Pinkeye, Multimin, Pour on, possibly blackleg (alpha 7), and fly tags during one of the three times through the chute while AI'ing ? Happening Mid-May

As long as it isn;t the time you put the semen in it shouldn;t cause a problem.

Do it a min of 21 days before breeding, let them cycle 1 time. Its recomended 30 days before. Thats what the university guy says. Multimin says on box 30 days before, pour on you will get along fine the rest can cause a low grade temp, so I'm told. I knew a guy that did all that when putting side in, conception was terrible, changed to 30 days before conception went up.

We vac and deworm when we put cidr's in. It's worked pretty good for us so far. If I would change anything I would vac and deworm maybe 2 weeks prior to cidr's. Just to get a little more time before ai. We run about 70% on first service with TAI.

At least 3 weeks prior or you will be losing. If your vaccines are working then you will see breeding problems on the close time frame. If you vaccines are not working then you have more than a problem that % conception. Playing with fire.

I hate to admit it but a lot of ours get worked the same day we put in cidrs. Haven't ever noticed a problem. We use killed vaccine and ivomec plus. The whole point in giving multimin early is to help their fertility. Not gonna do much good getting them to stick when you give it so close to breeding. But better late than never if they are going out with bulls.

Ebenezer":1zncvvp7 said:
At least 3 weeks prior or you will be losing. If your vaccines are working then you will see breeding problems on the close time frame. If you vaccines are not working then you have more than a problem that % conception. Playing with fire.

2X
Depends some on type of vaccine. Saw some data that MLV reduced conception about 3% even after 60 days.

I bred a bunch last month about a week after their anaplas booster and re-bred every single one on their next cycle. :roll: Glad I started a little early.

anything you do to stress the cow at breeding is going to have a negative impact on conceptions....for some people that can be the act of putting the cow in the chute....

life is a crap shoot....

your roll.

Latest posts