vacc. blackleg

Help Support CattleToday:

42acres

Reaction score
Is it ok to vacinate for blackleg at 10 weeks. I have heard 3 months but would it hurt to do it earlier.

no... what kind of health program has the momas had in the past? i had a neighbor that lost some too blackleg he would vaccinate at birth he was so parinoid about it

Since our calves come from the sale barn, they get it before they get off the trailer, be they babies or starter calves, or yearlings.

Alice

We hit them with blackleg at anywhere from a month and ahlf to a couple of weeks. Then at weaning we give them two 3 weeks apart. That was the vets recommendation for this area and this farm since he knows the history of this place before we bought it.

dun

We give it at birth when we are processing, once at branding, and once when we wean. We get alot of custom grazing cattle here in the winter, and who knows what they've had, so we aren't afraid to use it, plus it's cheap.

I blackleg everything when I get them up to clamp the bull calves. I vaccinate the babies and up. From from March 1 until September, I will use the blackleg with pinkeye in it. My vet says that the immune system isnt developed enough for the vaccination to do any good until about 3 months, but I do it anyway, it is not expensive to use as a precaution.

I will be using a tranquilizer gun to vacc. the calves in the pasture. The smallest darts i have holds 5cc but it only takes 2 or 3 to vacc. Would it be harmfull to fill the rest of the dart with water.

42acres, you can get 3 cc disposable darts from Pneudart. I use distilled or purified water to fill the dart when the medicine doesnt fill it. Also, there are blackleg medicines that come in 5cc per dose. What I use is blackleg with pinkeye and it comes in 2cc per dose as well as 5cc. If you can find the 5cc, it will take care of the filling the dart with water

42acres":1y54h121 said:
I will be using a tranquilizer gun to vacc. the calves in the pasture. The smallest darts i have holds 5cc but it only takes 2 or 3 to vacc. Would it be harmfull to fill the rest of the dart with water.

Hey 42,
Tranquilizer gun?? You need to get your herd cube-broke!!

Where are you? You're definitely doing the right thing to vaccinate for blackleg but using a tranq gun blows me away.
gabby

Latest posts