Vacations

Help Support CattleToday:

Vacation :?: Well, it is coming up on 3 years since I quite the paycheck job so it still feels like I am on vacation everyday. Even building fence, fixing waterleaks, and working on broken down equipment isn't as bad when you have more time to do them. Temprement and stress levels are way down now.

I like it where I am now, and if I can sleep in my own bed at night I am happy.

Frankie":3adopn0w said:
ga. prime":3adopn0w said:
:lol2: Yeah, how'd you spend $6K in Rome?
Frankie, here's what I'd do in your place. I love to visit National Parks. Been to a bunch of them. Never been to Big Bend. I'd take the scenic route down through the Texas hill country to and through Big Bend, ease over to El Paso for the city part and head 'er back to Oklahoma via New Mexico. Eating Tex-Mex the whole way.

That sounds like a good trip. But we spent way too much time in the car last year. We drove to Gettysburg, PA. We had the trip all planned, take plenty of time to stop and see sights, not put in ten hours a day driving. But about three days before we left, we added Antietam to our agenda. That ate up most of one day and we never got caught up. Plus, we didn't spend enough time there to really do it justice. We were really worn out by the time we got home. So this year, we're thinking of flying to the lovely state of Georgia. Delta has added a direct flight to Atlanta from an airport near here. We could be there in about two air hours, rent a car, and go from there. But we're still in the planning stages.

Frankie, if you fly into Atlanta rent a car and hit I-75 North. Takes an hour and a half to get to North Georgia / Chattanooga TN. area but there is the Chickamauga Battlefield as well as a must see of Look-Out Mountain battlefield, Rock City, Ruby Falls and Crystal Caverns all in one area. Some of the most beautifull scenery in the east as well. Continue north on 75 toward Knoxville and go through the Smokey Mountains National Park. Hit Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Lots of things to do and see. You can pick up brochures at any gas station of eating establishment. Plenty of shows, theaters, Dollywood theme park. You will have a blast as well as experience the hospitality of Tennesseans as well as Georgians (pretty nice most of the time unless they are trying to steal water). If you want you can swing over to Nashville and see all of the country music stuff like Music Row, The Ryman Auditorium, Grand Ole Opry. There is the Stones River battlefield and tons of other things. If you come up I-24 stop in Manchester. I'll buy ya'll some coffee. You can make it back to Atlanta within that week for your return flight with no problem.

Alice":38vdm77z said:
What about Savannah? A lady that was a volunteer at the church where I was the secretary came from Georgia and she said that Savannah was a wonderful city to visit and explore. She gave me the book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil , to read and ever since I read that I've wanted to go to Savannah. Frankie, if you haven't read that book, you ought to. It's a good'n.

Alice

Alice, all I can say is you will definitely love Savannah. :lol:

TexasBred":150dic3s said:
Alice":150dic3s said:
What about Savannah? A lady that was a volunteer at the church where I was the secretary came from Georgia and she said that Savannah was a wonderful city to visit and explore. She gave me the book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil , to read and ever since I read that I've wanted to go to Savannah. Frankie, if you haven't read that book, you ought to. It's a good'n.

Alice

Alice, all I can say is you will definitely love Savannah. :lol:

You've been there, then...and you recommend it. Good...'cause one of these days that's where I'm going. :D

Alice

Alice Savannah is one of the most beautiful little cities you'll ever visit. Worlds of history, still has the old buildings down on the river full of shops and restaurants, the old historical houses, cemeteries and churches, worlds of flowers everywhere you looks....just gotta see it to appreciate it. Wasn't Savannah the city "too beautiful to burn" when Sherman was coming thru Ga.??

The best place I've found to stay in Atl is the Ga. Tech Hotel and Conference Center. Reasonably priced and you can walk from the adjacent parking deck into the building without having to walk out in the street. A lot of stuff nearby. A very nice facility. Midtown. Yes, there's a train called MARTA that'll take you all over.

If you did decide to drive, we enjoyed our drive through Texas to South Padre Islands. Great time down there in the town and on the ocean.

It has been 20+ years since I been there, but Niagara Falls was one of the greatest marvels I ever saw. Fly to NY, rent a car and then see Niagara, NYC, Washington DC and fly back home. Upstate NY is beautiful country, nothing like what you think of when thinking New York.

aplusmnt":226agxdd said:
If you did decide to drive, we enjoyed our drive through Texas to South Padre Islands. Great time down there in the town and on the ocean.

It has been 20+ years since I been there, but Niagara Falls was one of the greatest marvels I ever saw. Fly to NY, rent a car and then see Niagara, NYC, Washington DC and fly back home. Upstate NY is beautiful country, nothing like what you think of when thinking New York.

Niagara Falls. That's a good idea. The weather might be better there in the summer, too. I'll put that on the list. Thanks.

Latest posts