Vacation and cows

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
This is a 100% true story.
1) I try to keep real good fences even on my rented farms.
2) I keep my cows well fed.
3) I rarely get more than 30 miles from home.
Anyone know where this is going?

I promised my kids that if they kept their grades above 85 for the entire school year that I would take them on vacation and actually stay with them for an entire week. I usually can't go and if I do it's only for one night. Well they done their part. So we strike out this past Wednesday. 5 hours away. Got a call about an hour ago from a friend. Rode by a rented farm. There was a momma cow walking in the ditch. Long story short. She pushed against the barbed wire while eating through it and broke it. Then proceeded into the hayfield. Needless to say gonna have to stretch some new wire on that 500' section. Landlord put her back in and is gonna patch the fence for me. He will get a steak for each of his family for his trouble.

Point is I haven't had a single cow out in the last 3 years except for one other time, and that was bc a tree fell on it. You guessed it. I was 5 hours away then too. It never ceases to amaze me how that works. I guess it Murphy's Law.

Vacation and cows shouldn't even be in the same sentence...they """never""fail to pull a stunt,, their timing is out of sight.......they wait till your out of sight...

This is what stinks about having cattle. Or should I say animals in general, I'll be danged if I'll pawn my animals off on someone else.
Michael let me know lf I can help.

JMJ Farms":6josrgkt said:

I promised my kids that if they kept their grades above 85 for the entire school year that I would take them on vacation and actually stay with them for an entire week. I usually can't go and if I do it's only for one night. Well they done their part. So we strike out this past Wednesday. 5 hours away. Got a call about an hour ago from a friend. Rode by a rented farm. There was a momma cow walking in the ditch. Long story short. She pushed against the barbed wire while eating through it and broke it. Then proceeded into the hayfield. Needless to say gonna have to stretch some new wire on that 500' section. Landlord put her back in and is gonna patch the fence for me. He will get a steak for each of his family for his trouble.

Point is I haven't had a single cow out in the last 3 years except for one other time, and that was bc a tree fell on it. You guessed it. I was 5 hours away then too. It never ceases to amaze me how that works. I guess it Murphy's Law.

In the thicket you learn fence is only good while your looking at it.
I hate fence repair because the cow tore it up. All of my fences have two hot wires hotter than the hinges
on the gates of heII.
When you go off here neighbors just check and repair for each other.
GB can attest that with 360 degrees in a circle a tree will always fall in the direction that maximizing destruction.

True Grit Farms":212dbb0o said:
This is what stinks about having cattle. Or should I say animals in general, I'll be danged if I'll pawn my animals off on someone else.

You're right. Just amazes me how you can stay home for 358 days and have no issues and then out of the blue clear sky...... At least all mine can be led with a bucket. He put her back in the pasture in less than 2 minutes. He lives right across the road. Hated like the devil to call him but I figured it was my best option. I will repay the favor. I will say something else. It's my problem not my landlords but...... being a good neighbor makes good neighbors. I keep his place up nice. And he knows I'd help him in a minute. Nice to have people like that. Not always, but most of the time people will be as good to you as you are to them. Thanks for the offer Grit. I figure I will save that favor till I really need it! Gonna hit apalachicola bay tomorrow. Hope I can catch me a big ole amberjack.

Caustic Burno":2wsa6riu said:
JMJ Farms":2wsa6riu said:

In the thicket you learn fence is only good while your looking at it.
I hate fence repair because the cow tore it up. All of my fences have two hot wires hotter than the hinges
on the gates of heII.
When you go off here neighbors just check and repair for each other.
GB can attest that with 360 degrees in a circle a tree will always fall in the direction that maximizing destruction.

I don't know if I've ever seen a tree fall away from a fence. Just don't happen. Kinda like hooking up hydraulic hoses. You'd think it would be 50/50. Nope. Always backwards :lol2: Probably gonna run a couple new strands of barbed and then a couple of hot wires to boot.

JMJ Farms":1pnwvs0k said:
True Grit Farms":1pnwvs0k said:

You're right. Just amazes me how you can stay home for 358 days and have no issues and then out of the blue clear sky...... At least all mine can be led with a bucket. He put her back in the pasture in less than 2 minutes. He lives right across the road. Hated like the devil to call him but I figured it was my best option. I will repay the favor. I will say something else. It's my problem not my landlords but...... being a good neighbor makes good neighbors. I keep his place up nice. And he knows I'd help him in a minute. Nice to have people like that. Not always, but most of the time people will be as good to you as you are to them. Thanks for the offer Grit. I figure I will save that favor till I really need it! Gonna hit apalachicola bay tomorrow. Hope I can catch me a big ole amberjack.
Vincent said you couldn't fish around the weather tower because of the amberjacks. They sure :lol2: know they can pull hard. We have a boat slip at Up The Creek Raw Bar if you need a place to dock in Apalachicola.

True Grit Farms":29744gnf said:
JMJ Farms":29744gnf said:
True Grit Farms":29744gnf said:

Vincent said you couldn't fish around the weather tower because of the amberjacks. They sure :lol2: know they can pull hard. We have a boat slip at Up The Creek Raw Bar if you need a place to dock in Apalachicola.

Once again I sincerely appreciate the offer. And the tip. I will mention the weather tower. But I don't have my own boat. Still have to go out with a guide. Don't know if you ever met up with Capt Ken Finch. Been fishing with him for about 4 years now. Great guy. We gonna have to get together and fish down here sometime. Maybe when Vincent can break loose for a day. Spent a couple hours last week with Lou at his shop. They are building boats left and right. Said he was backed up for 18 months. I will have to tell you what else he said, after I told him you said to tighten his azz up, in private :lol2: He may call you about some cows as well.

Cow is back in. Fence is patched. And we caught a nice mess of fish. A few blacktip sharks, couple dozen catfish, black drum, croakers, and 50 or so white trout. No amberjack or trophy fish. My two boys had a great time so that made it well worth it.

JMJ Farms":15lz6rxf said:
Cow is back in. Fence is patched. And we caught a nice mess of fish. A few blacktip sharks, couple dozen catfish, black drum, croakers, and 50 or so white trout. No amberjack or trophy fish. My two boys had a great time so that made it well worth it.

It's Shark Week!!

Latest posts