vac program

Help Support CattleToday:

Depends somewhat on where you live. Frenchie has a really good post on the Beginners Board now called Cow Calf Herd Health Basics. Might want to check it out. Lots of good information in it. Good Luck.

I would call your local vet and ask that question. I would definetly use a modified live vaccine for the bvd and you must also consider using a pasturella vaccine with a luekotoxoid component, if you don't you might as well shoot it in the dirt because you won't have the immunity you need. You should also look at vaccinating for Hardjo Bovis- a lepto strain. If you do this you will need Cattlemaster Gold (like the triangle4 except it has the mod. live virus), Spirovac VL, covers the all the leptos, vibrio, and then Ultra One Shot 8 this is your blackleg etc. and has the leukotoxoid component for pasturella. Have been to many meetings in the last month or so and this is what the universities are saying we need. Unfortunatly pfizer has the only vaccines that cover all the bases. Check with your vet and see if you need this in your area. I would vaccinate any calves over 300lbs. with everything, under 300 just the ultra one shot 8. cows get the whole program. re-vac calves in two weeks or at weaning would be fine, the under 300 calves will need to have the opther two shots at weaning and a booster two weeks post wean! Hope this helps. Good Luck