Utvs

Help Support CattleToday:

TCRanch":3a0hslbo said:
cfpinz":3a0hslbo said:
I was in the small pickup crowd until a little over a year ago, finally spring for a new Polaris Ranger. It'll go places a pickup won't dream of and not tear up the fields as bad in the process. If something happened to mine today, I'd replace it tomorrow.
We're probably going to trade ours in next Spring if you want Jer's Rancher as a back up or for your wife. Didn't pony up for heated seats this time but still has the radio & all the gadgets ;-)

But does it have the diamond bedazzled steering wheel and 24k gold plated shifter? Those are basic necessities around here!

I have an '04 rancher, and a '15 Honda Pioneer sxs. My husband drives a Ranger....it rides smoother but I don't like draggy feeling it has. The Pioneer is only 50" wide and will fit in a lot of places the Ranger won't. It drives more like a 4 wheeler. We had an '04 Mule that a neighbor is still driving, that was before fuel injection and it ran cold all the time. I must say the Mules are a better work vehicle as the beds are lower to work out of and metal. All of them have their pluses.

cfpinz":1qj7kpak said:
TCRanch":1qj7kpak said:
cfpinz":1qj7kpak said:
I was in the small pickup crowd until a little over a year ago, finally spring for a new Polaris Ranger. It'll go places a pickup won't dream of and not tear up the fields as bad in the process. If something happened to mine today, I'd replace it tomorrow.
We're probably going to trade ours in next Spring if you want Jer's Rancher as a back up or for your wife. Didn't pony up for heated seats this time but still has the radio & all the gadgets ;-)

But does it have the diamond bedazzled steering wheel and 24k gold plated shifter? Those are basic necessities around here!
No, he was afraid that would label him as too metrosexual. ;-)

We use a John Deere Gator 855d, it's a beast and we would be up the proverbial sh....t creek without it given the horrible wet weather we have had here. A 4x4 truck would be useless out in the fields right now.

sstterry":2h5vgd4p said:
I have the Polaris Ranger Diesel and could not live without it. Much easier to jump in and check the cows or run a fenceline. Plus, it will go places my tractors will not.

What year? Does it have the Hydrostatic Trans? Any complaints with it?

Went looking some today, looked at a gator 825 and 835m, the mule in several different models and the kubota rtv 900. The Kubota actually seems like a nice machine im just concerned with the weight of the machine being a issue in certain situations. Its a toss up between the other two both have features i like and dont like vice versa.

cfpinz":2vufzid8 said:
sstterry":2vufzid8 said:
I have the Polaris Ranger Diesel and could not live without it. Much easier to jump in and check the cows or run a fenceline. Plus, it will go places my tractors will not.

Mine is a 2011, that model used the automatic PVT transmission. No complaints other difficulty shifting into reverse when it gets hot (that is a known problem with the clutch) but not a big deal. At that time they used a Yanmar engine, not sure now.

Here is our work horse, she is relatively clean here, compared to how she looks most days. I have a Warn 4500 winch. LED lights mounted on front and back at top of cab, and a set on the front bumper. Skid plates and guards front and back. Cab has a heater.

sstterry":8nnypqjg said:
cfpinz":8nnypqjg said:
sstterry":8nnypqjg said:

Mine is a 2011, that model used the automatic PVT transmission. No complaints other difficulty shifting into reverse when it gets hot (that is a known problem with the clutch) but not a big deal. At that time they used a Yanmar engine, not sure now.

Thanks. I drove a new model with the diesel engine last week, they're using Kohler engines now.

Around here I see lots of quads until about November 1. Then the quads get parked and the UTV's with cabs show up. But do to the distances when the cows are in the hills most everyone has a small 4x4 pickup too. They all have there time and place. Just like wrenches, one size doesn't fit all.

Wanted a mule for 20 years. Finally bought a used one a few years ago. A lot easier to get in and out of. Put about 100 hrs a year on it so that's 100 less on the truck.

My only experience with one was a single seat, dump bed, 13.5 or 16 hp Honda engine, forget which. Drive was variable speed belt. Was disfunctional and put it back in working order for a neighbor. New belt was part of it and sheave wear was minimal, bearings and bushings in good working order. Very jerky and hard to control for a senior woman (inherited owner from deceased kinfolk). No wonder she let it sit until it was disfunctional. I guess if you are in the big bucks trucks you get a different drive system that is more operator permissive. I would hope so if my operation depended on such.