UTV Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

I have several friends that have mounted the 800# Bar-6 on Polaris rangers. Also the TS, they like them very well.

That thing looks so neat I wish I fed cubes so I could get one.

Isomade - I'm not familiar with the Bar-6. Where can I find one of those?

Dun - I don't feed cubes any more - too expensive. I will use it to feed a ground feed or pellets in bunks, mostly for weaned calves and heifers. Cows have to make it on pasture, hay and mineral.

I'd be curious if it would work on distiller's grains. I really doubt it with it clumping up a lot, but may have to search and ask questions.

lucky7chief":289izs9o said:

Dun - I don't feed cubes any more - too expensive. I will use it to feed a ground feed or pellets in bunks, mostly for weaned calves and heifers. Cows have to make it on pasture, hay and mineral.
http://bar6.net/

greatgerts":lt2jstni said:
I'd be curious if it would work on distiller's grains. I really doubt it with it clumping up a lot, but may have to search and ask questions.
I have a Hydra feeder and my cousin has a Bar 6. We both run loose distillers grains through them daily with no problem, ever. The Hydra feeder and TS are much better feeders than a Bar 6 in my opinion. But there are lots of Bar 6 feeders around that last for years.

Isomade":27yc58ee said:
greatgerts":27yc58ee said:
I have a Hydra feeder and my cousin has a Bar 6. We both run loose distillers grains through them daily with no problem, ever. The Hydra feeder and TS are much better feeders than a Bar 6 in my opinion. But there are lots of Bar 6 feeders around that last for years.

Thanks for the info! Probably won't get one for a while, but it would help to "weigh" the feed so I know how much I am actually putting out during the winter when we supplement.

Thanks for the link Isomade. It doesn't look like Bar 6 makes a model for a UTV. Their smallest model would be a little too wide. The Hydra doesn't look like it would work on a UTV because it needs hydraulics. I looked at the TS Jr. My only concern would be it drops the feed right off the edge, so I don't think it would work with bunks. I guess I could add a chute like some of the others. Are you using your feeder on a UTV?

lucky7chief":341tmnpj said:
Thanks for the link Isomade. It doesn't look like Bar 6 makes a model for a UTV. Their smallest model would be a little too wide. The Hydra doesn't look like it would work on a UTV because it needs hydraulics. I looked at the TS Jr. My only concern would be it drops the feed right off the edge, so I don't think it would work with bunks. I guess I could add a chute like some of the others. Are you using your feeder on a UTV?
Mine is on a tractor, but there are lots of bar 6 on UTVs here. They can make them fit, and you don't have to fill them all the way up if the UTVS won't handle the weight. Trust me, get bigger than you think you need. That way you can use it on a truck or tractor if your operation grows.

greatgerts":1s6vbi2e said:
Isomade":1s6vbi2e said:
greatgerts":1s6vbi2e said:

Thanks for the info! Probably won't get one for a while, but it would help to "weigh" the feed so I know how much I am actually putting out during the winter when we supplement.
The Hydra has a digital counter mounted on the dash of my tractor. I just calibrate it to whatever feed I am using and it tells me exactly how much I am putting out. The counter is very accurate if calibrated properly, and calibration is simple.

I'm posting more information I found in case someone else is researching. I looked at a couple other brands at the farm show in Kansas City. Collins Enterprises makes 450 and 700 pound models. It's called Backpack. It looked nice but was a bit higher than Stull in price. Applegate is also selling a trailer model as part of it's Feedtrain line. It was more expensive yet and it doesn't have a lot of ground clearance. I was concerned about pulling it through mud and rocks. I purchased the Stull a few weeks ago. It was cheaper and lighter. I wanted lighter because I want to be able to take it off easily to free up the Mule bed. I have been a little disappointed with it. The battery cable was not long enough. I called them and they claim they've never heard a complaint about that. I don't see how it would work on a Mule. Their only suggestion was to add a separate battery just for the feeder. So, I added an extension to the cables and it's working now. I think it will work as expected now.

lucky7chief":2fkpng1h said:
I'm posting more information I found in case someone else is researching. I looked at a couple other brands at the farm show in Kansas City. Collins Enterprises makes 450 and 700 pound models. It's called Backpack. It looked nice but was a bit higher than Stull in price. Applegate is also selling a trailer model as part of it's Feedtrain line. It was more expensive yet and it doesn't have a lot of ground clearance. I was concerned about pulling it through mud and rocks. I purchased the Stull a few weeks ago. It was cheaper and lighter. I wanted lighter because I want to be able to take it off easily to free up the Mule bed. I have been a little disappointed with it. The battery cable was not long enough. I called them and they claim they've never heard a complaint about that. I don't see how it would work on a Mule. Their only suggestion was to add a separate battery just for the feeder. So, I added an extension to the cables and it's working now. I think it will work as expected now.
Pics???

lucky7chief":ebu1xmt5 said:

This past year I ran out of hay and refused to pay $300/bale and $4000.00 for shipping. Cubes I buy are about $300/ton and ground feed, which my cattle won't eat, costs me about $250.00/ton and I furnish the bags. So this past Winter I pulled mine through with about 80 bales of hay I had put up, about 6 tons of cubes and about twenty 200# tubs of molasses supplement. They lost a little weight but I didn't lose one single animal. The cubes are certified 20% crude protien and the suppliment is certified 26% crude protien.

As far as the ground feed is concerned I think the reason my cattle won't eat it is because I can't find a mill anywhere around me that will make the feed to my requirements. I usually grind ear corn, a little hay, cotton seed meal, molasses and salt. Mills won't grind hay and for sure won't use molasses. Last time they used 20% salt, 70% chops (not ground corn) and the rest cotton seed meal and my cattle let it lay in the feed troughs until it rotted.

We gotta do what we can.

I just bought a 600lb. Stull feeder and it works great. I feed ground corn with supplement and Malaysia. I was afraid it wouldn't feed down but it does fine. I have it on a Polaris ranger and does good. It's almost a pleasure to feed now, before I would have to lock the cows out of the pin, put out feed then let them back in. Now I just drive right Thur them. I couldn't be happier with it, best investment I've made in a long time. Only bad thing they said some assembly required, some assembly my butt, there wasn't any two pieces put together. However it was worth it.

Isn't that to much salt? I feed chops, supplement and a little malasis. My cattle love it, last winter I tried cubes and they let them lay for a long time but finally eat them.

lucky7chief":arithuo1 said:
I am looking at feed dispensers that will mount on the back of a Mule. I have seen the Stull feeder with an auger. I thought it looked good. The link is below. I've looked at the TS feeder and it looks nice but is much higher in price. Does anyone have any experience with the Stull or any other suggestions?

http://www.stullfeeders.com/products.php?id=139

I guess my aluminum box mounted on the back of the heavy quad and the 5 gal pail I scoop it with makes me look like a poor hick.

Not sure but those pics look like galvanized - not a fan of that stuff.

Personally if I wanted something like this I would probably design my own idea and have someone weld it up for me out of aluminum. Might not be cheaper, but it would last forever and it would be something that fits YOUR requirements.

Bez

Latest posts