Utter chaos

Help Support CattleToday:

And, having a neighbor that uses a vet that you can start using helps.
I can't stress enough how you need to have a vet out just for a routine visit to get established as a customer. Even more important in an area like you described, not having a good number of vets handy.

The last vet I got out here and only vet for that matter was 70 miles and didn't want to come then, lost the bull anyway. We have a new Vet coming to a town 17 miles away but I don't know yet if SHE does large animals. I'm about the only vet in this neck and that's not much. We've made it 5 years with the help of some that know on this forum. Sort and sift is what I do.

Bless your heart, Tom. I'm fortunate our vets (2 in the practice) are all of 20 minutes away and make record time in the middle of the night for emergencies. So I hope you understand it's hard for some of us to comprehend not having a vet readily available. Is there a local Sale Barn or one reasonably close? Go there and meet people, develop relationships, learn and I'm fairly certain they will be willing to help - in person.

TCRanch said:
Bless your heart, Tom. I'm fortunate our vets (2 in the practice) are all of 20 minutes away and make record time in the middle of the night for emergencies. So I hope you understand it's hard for some of us to comprehend not having a vet readily available. Is there a local Sale Barn or one reasonably close? Go there and meet people, develop relationships, learn and I'm fairly certain they will be willing to help - in person.

Thanks, these are some good ideas, we have a sale barn about 20 miles from here. I'll check it out.

Was this a heifer you'd counted on keeping as a replacement? If you can do without her, I'd consider shipping her if you can spare it... I've had a number of heifers come into heat around 180 days old, thankfully for me it was never any I'd planned on keeping (they never had their tail out for as long as yours did though), I try and sort out at least my replacement out of reach of the bull. I'm not that fond of calves that come into heat that early... if they start cycling reliably around 10-12 months old that's just fine by me.
You do what you can! don't beat yourself up over it too much!

Our vet is 1 1/2 hours away, and that's the nearest one!.. He's only been here once for a C section but we've been dealing with that clinic for 30 years

Calf doing much better. Eating, grazing and doing cow things. I was planning on giving her and another that is about 2 months older than her their shots this coming week end. I will give the black leg prevention, the pasturella pneumonia and the Agri-Metin wormer. See labels attached. Any thing I missing?

Tomcolvin said:
Calf doing much better. Eating, grazing and doing cow things. I was planning on giving her and another that is about 2 months older than her their shots this coming week end. I will give the black leg prevention, the pasturella pneumonia and the Agri-Metin wormer. See labels attached. Any thing I missing?

That is a good line-up. I really like the Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida vaccine. You should consider a vaccine for respiratory/reproductive viruses that include Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR), Parainfluenza, Bovine Viral Diarrhea (BVD) and Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus (BRSV). There are both killed and modified live vaccines for these viruses.

Tomcolvin said:
I have never had it yet but you never know when. What do you use for pinkeye.

I use a custom autogenous bacterin I get from my vet that covers both moxarella bovis and moxarella bovoculi but I used to use Piliguard Pinkeye:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07643-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

Got a hold of a vet today that doesn't do house calls anymore because of an accident he and his wife was in on a golf cart by a drunk driver. He like to have not made it over this but he is back to going to the office where his daughter has stepped in to take over. She is more of a small animal doctor. He call me back and said I need to really wait 2 weeks on the lute shot and while I had her in the head gate go ahead with the pasturella, invermetin, and the ultra chive 8 for blackleg. Don't mix them but give them at one setting by multiple shots. Sure was good to here from him. He said call him when I need to know something. His clinic does my worm samples now.😎

Got a hold of a vet today that doesn't do house calls anymore because of an accident he and his wife was in on a golf cart by a drunk driver. He like to have not made it over this but he is back to going to the office where his daughter has stepped in to take over. She is more of a small animal doctor. He call me back and said I need to really wait 2 weeks on the lute shot and while I had her in the head gate go ahead with the pasturella, invermetin, and the ultra choice
Tomcolvin said:
Got a hold of a vet today that doesn't do house calls anymore because of an accident he and his wife was in on a golf cart by a drunk driver. He like to have not made it over this but he is back to going to the office where his daughter has stepped in to take over. She is more of a small animal doctor. He call me back and said I need to really wait 2 weeks on the lute shot and while I had her in the head gate go ahead with the pasturella, invermetin, and the ultra chive 8 for blackleg. Don't mix them but give them at one setting by multiple shots. Sure was good to here from him. He said call him when I need to know something. His clinic does my worm samples now.😎
8 for blackleg. Don't mix them but give them at one setting by multiple shots. Sure was good to here from him. He said call him when I need to know something. His clinic does my worm samples now.😎

I wish there were vaccines that you didn't have to give again 4 weeks later. It is not easy for me to catch them all again.

Just a suggestion from my vet: give the blackleg on one side and pasturella on the other. Glad you were finally able to talk to a vet. Thought of another suggestion. The sale barn 20 miles away should have a vet and could potentially be another resource.

TCRanch said:
Just a suggestion from my vet: give the blackleg on one side and pasturella on the other. Glad you were finally able to talk to a vet. Thought of another suggestion. The sale barn 20 miles away should have a vet and could potentially be another resource.
That makes good sense to me.😎

The vet at this sale barn is the one I used. He works the barn but doesn't want to come further down , although he did. He was the first one I called and never call me back. He is a good vet and if you can get him on the phone you can reason with him. He just don't answer all calls.

Latest posts