Uterine Prolapse Beware

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
After 25 years, I had finally had my first full uterine prolapse on a calf I had to pull. I didn't realize at the time the the most critical thing for survival is to keep the cow from moving due to the likelihood of tearing blood vessels that could result in them bleeding out. So important note to those who haven't dealt with this yet - if it happens to you, it's not like a rectal or vaginal prolapse - DONT MOVE THE ANIMAL while you're waiting for the vet. Just a little something I wish I new a couple weeks ago.

There's an element of luck involved with uterine prolapses. I've seen cows that have them hanging out for hours while they run around like idiots end up being fine, and I've seen cows that prolapsed and bled out in 20 minutes without moving an inch.

My one and only (knock wood) was a first calf heifer and I had her conveniently at the barn. Naturally, she did it in the middle of the night and I sat there with her uterus in my lap until the vet showed up in a record 30 minutes. I kinda think she didn't move because she knew something was so, so wrong. She's now almost 10 & bred with her 9th calf.

Latest posts