Using water as a fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Glad I found this forum as I was just pondering a similar question. Our lower pasture is bordered by a creek and I was wondering if it would be sufficient to keep cattle from wondering.

The creek doesn't have a bank just a sudden drop, I am not sure how deep it is but other parts of the creek range from 3-5 feet deep and it is about 6 feet across.

There is a hotwire running along the creek, would that be sufficient to keep cattle away from the creek? How worried should I be about cattle falling in and drowning.

On the other side of the farm I'm trying to weasel out of fencing I ran a single strand of high tensile wire along the edge of the creek and sometimes the high water mark. I put the wire 30 inches off the ground and have turned the cows in this area without any problem. I'm running 6-8000 volts. This creek is more in line with what you are describing so I would say it would work well - especially if the fence is set back from the edge of the creek a few feet. Cows will definitely get a good ground if they touch the fence when they are standing in mud. I doubt they would push the issue more than once.

Latest posts