Using this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Any one using this bull. +13200618 GAR Pinnacle. Also thinking of using 1I1 next year. Any thoughts.

Scotty

You might check with Travis Herring. http://www.herringangus.com
I just bought a couple of youngsters from him and they have Gardiner in them. Travis is real high on Gardiner. Great gentleman. I'll be buying from them again. Beautiful stock.

Scotty":2lrdo5k5 said:
Any one using this bull. +13200618 GAR Pinnacle. Also thinking of using 1I1 next year. Any thoughts.

Scotty

Ouch. What are you using him on? His BW EPD is +6.9, .92 accuracy, so you sure don't want to use him on heifers. For commercial cows, he's probably a good choice, good growth and carcass. We've found that commercial cattlemen shy away from bulls with BW EPDs of 5 or more, so, personally, I wouldn't use him to produce registered Angus bulls.

That EPD is interesting.

His sire is is a .9 and his grand sire is 1.7

Dam.s sire is at .7 with grand sire at 1.9

Back to the saying...EPD's should be a tool and not a rule.

Knowing that these numbers are an educated guess, I still would only use him on cows, no heifers for sure like Frankie said. With his BW being so high, I thought his YW would have been higher. A bull with low BW would be easy to find with the same numbers across the chart. His $EN is running negative too, -3.15. But the one thing this bull has that I have never seen before, his Beef Value ($B) is $60.80. I guess that is as high as I have seen.
These two numbers seem that they should run together. If the $EN is negative, seems the $B should be lower.
With his BW being so high, looks like the Weaning value would be higher too. From 6.9 to 91 is a lot closer than a example of 1.8 to a 98. Maybe someone with more brain cells can clear this up for me.

Latest posts