using sericea lespedeza as hay

Help Support CattleToday:

mds

Reaction score
we have about 20 acres of land that was stripped about 15 years ago. it was also planted in sericea lespedeza to prevent eroison. I read on the internet that it can be used as hay. a local man said he could cut and bale it for 12.00 a bale but he said he doesn't know the specifics on it such as drying time and the best time to harvest. if anyone has experience with this type of forage any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks, mike

Best bet is to seed something else in to help with the erosion. Then when it grows well, spray and burn the sericia. In many places sericia is considered am invasive noxious weed. If you feed it you'll have a pasture full of the stuff.

dun

mds":22yph9ze said:
we have about 20 acres of land that was stripped about 15 years ago. it was also planted in sericea lespedeza to prevent eroison. I read on the internet that it can be used as hay. a local man said he could cut and bale it for 12.00 a bale but he said he doesn't know the specifics on it such as drying time and the best time to harvest. if anyone has experience with this type of forage any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks, mike
Not a bad feed if it is cut early. the tannin in it as it matures will cause the cows to not graze it. You might try haylage, as the fermentation process will soften the hard stem and will reduce some of the off taste. Will need a baler and wrapper - but won't get it done for $12. I Never fed it as hay - only as haylage -might work - but as above post - try to eliminate it as much as possible - or get sheep - they think the stuff is candy!

Latest posts