USING SEEDERS TO BRING COWS INTO HEAT FOR BREEDING

Help Support CattleToday:

Roadhog:
I'm assuming that by "seeders" you mean CIDRs (controlled internal drug releasing device) in your question.

In recent years, CIDRs have become an important tool for beef producers. Properly (I emphasize PROPERLY) used in estrous synchronization protocols, CIDRs can help tighten up breeding and calving seasons, produce a more uniform calf crop and make more efficient use of time and labor during these critical parts of the management year. CIDRs have the added advantage over previous protocols in that they can initiate estrous in anestrous cows or pre-pubescent heifers.

As to "luck", good or bad, with or without CIDRs, it'll always be true that a successful reproduction program has more to do with nutrition, herd health, management and a commitment to operation improvement than luck.

Hope that helps.

Dave

They work great. I don't have the time or the ability to watch cows come into heat and AI them. This year will be my first time using estrumate instead of lute. From what I have read and heard. Estrumate gives a stronger heat. Another thing I like about CIDR's is if they don't settle on the first breeding. The cows are coming in heat in synch the second time.

I love CIDR's! We still heat detect rather than time breed. But 90% come in at the same time. It makes it where we dont have to constanly watch. Our protocol is a bit different than others.
Day 1 Implant and shoot 2ML Estrodiol
Day 7 shoot 2ML Estrumate
Day 8 pull CIDR's

Using this protocol
Most are ready to breed 48 hrs later

Contrary to labeling, they do have enough potency to be cleaned and reused. But not advisable on on Donors or Recips.

We recently set up 31 cows with the same protocol as Avalon except we pulled and gave Estramate on the same day.
The results were pretty good. 26 cows came into heat within 72 hours. the ones that didn't can be attributed to health/age/docility problems. One came up lame before implant but we went ahead a tried it. 2 are very flighty and due for market after they raise their calf. One lost her CIDR. the last came into heat 84 hrs (outside our window for implanting embryo's)

We are very happy with this protocol. The use of Estrodiol improve our rate. We had been using Ovacyst. The draw back is Estrodiol is really thick and use need an 18 guage needle. We normally use 20 gu 1 1/2" needles. We didn't have the long 18s. Our vet says to use the long needles to help reduce leakage. Important when using low doses.

George

I have used Cidr's on several different cattle. I have had the best luck on Shorthorn heifers.The best results came when I use them on about 5 at a time,then time breed them. The heifers were showing no visable signs of heat on their own.They got hot in a hurry and would stick 3 or 4 of them first service.
I had terrible results on a set of black heifers,some of them had some ear,and pulled CIDR and gave shot same day. A couple of them came in on their own,remainder were time bred. Did not stick a single heifer,I was really concerned-I had told him what good results I was getting.Later he told me only 3 of the 8 heifers stuck when exposed to the bull for two cycles,the remainder were culled-made me feel a little better.

I have used CIDRs and they work well but like someone else posted they are expensive.

for the last two years I have just used Co Sync with very good results. Most have been bred on observed heat, but we have bred several groups on time using Co Sync with good results.

If you are doing embryo work then I would advise the CIDR.

For my situation I think they are an unnecessary expense. but I do my own heat checking and my own breeding so coordinating labor is not an issue. I just devote a week to breeding cows. Bred thirty six out of 40 on observed heat in five days. The other four I resynced with co sync and bred on time. The clean up bull was after one of those four on new years day, so I perhaps got three of four.

Co Sync will not work very well on virgin heifers and for them I like to use MGA to presync but this year i could not get the MGA so I used the two shot Lutalyse on the heifers and got 80 percnet standing heat response but it was spread over 5 days.

That works for me but would not work for timed insemination. The CIDR is the best bet for tight synchrony of heifers. But presynchroney with MGA makes the results even better.

We us CIDR's on all of our cattle and time breed. The protocol is a modified protocol. It was developed by our embryologist. We give 1 cc of Combo A which I assume is GnRH but not sure and put in the CIDR then on day seven remove CIDR and a shot of Prostaglandin, Day 8 1 cc of Combo B again assuming GnRH then breed 26 to 30 hours after administering Combo B. Don't breed cows that didn't come in.

The only problem we have ever had with using CIDRs is in heifers that are small. We have had them get an infection from discomfort (vagina is too short for the CIDR sometimes)

hillsdown":3noawi0c said:
A CIDR here is 20 bucks a pop.SO figure that in with the prostaglandin and GNRH cost per head it is high.Use it wisely and remember you're only as good as your heat detection.

I picked up some last week , I paid 10 bucks ea. and we use them twice, that helps with the cost .

We payed $95 for a bag of 10. We only use once due to the risk of transmitting diseases but we have used them twice before as long as the cows are free of diseases.

Earl Veterinary Supply in Fayette Missouri sold them to us for $86.55/pkg of 10. We use them twice with a good cleaning in between with a disinfectent. I keep the used ones around for any extra cows. (groups that don't evenly divide out by 10 so that I don't have to order a whole package for 3 or 4 recips). Our vet says they are effective three times each.
Just finished checking heats from our last implant and got 67% retention. That could change of course but for now we are happy. 4 EXT's and 10 5204's. We also have 5 of 6 Connealy Lead On's from an earlier session. Next year's calf crop looks promising :)

While using this AI protocol on a Jersey, are we safe to continue drinking her milk? Or should we dump it? Thank you!

While using this AI protocol on a Jersey, are we safe to continue drinking her milk? Or should we dump it? Thank you!
I looked on the manufacturer website and don't see anything about milk withdrawals.
I have not seen any of the dairies i've been to over the years dump milking after injectable "breeding" hormones but that doesn't mean it's not done.
Hopefully others who milk will chime in. Might have better luck with a new thread though.

I have used Cidr's on several different cattle. I have had the best luck on Shorthorn heifers.The best results came when I use them on about 5 at a time,then time breed them. The heifers were showing no visable signs of heat on their own.They got hot in a hurry and would stick 3 or 4 of them first service.
I had terrible results on a set of black heifers,some of them had some ear,and pulled CIDR and gave shot same day. A couple of them came in on their own,remainder were time bred. Did not stick a single heifer,I was really concerned-I had told him what good results I was getting.Later he told me only 3 of the 8 heifers stuck when exposed to the bull for two cycles,the remainder were culled-made me feel a little better.

I don't know why this popped up in my "space". can't delete it.

Latest posts