using portable fence reels

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
This is a really simple question, but I have to ask because I cant figure it out... How do you guys work your portable fence reels?

My guess is that you attach a gate handle to the end opposite the reel, and hook it on a hot wire... and then you need to hook the reel end on the fence... But wont the hook on the reel short out the fence since it is not attached to the polywire? Or do you hook it onto something else? Or do you guys electrify the portable fence in another way?

The reel should have come with instructions...lol...thanks for any help....

The polywire where it connects to the reel is connected to the plastic reel part so is insulated from the metal. The other end is connected to a gate hook as you surmised. If we hook the gate hook on the hot wire to provide power the other end is hung off of something like an old barbwire fence, a loop of wire fastened to a T-post, a 1/2 inch fiberglass post, whatever is handy to terminate the fence. If the power is coming from somwehere else, i.e. a jumper from another fence or a seperate charger, we use a plastic gate handle between the regular gate hook and whatever wire it's hooked onto to terminate it.
Easier to just point ot it and show you then it is for me to explain.

dun

I've found it best to not put power on the poly line until last, I 've had my eyes opened more than once hooking the gate handle to a live fence and then unreeling it. As far as holding the reel at the other end I use brace wire around T post, wood post, or whatever is handy

wocattle":e12i1l1v said:
I've found it best to not put power on the poly line until last, I 've had my eyes opened more than once hooking the gate handle to a live fence and then unreeling it.

That's where those plastic handles come in so handy. I hook one of those on the hot fence then the regular hook to that. I can run the poly and pull it tight then just pop the plastic handle off and connect the regular to the wire.

dun

thank you guys for the help....

my reels have what looks like a metal U-clip through the bottom of the reel itself (where the first several wraps of wire would go on as I spool up the reel)... have you seen this before, and will it cause the wire to short out?.? I dont really see a pupose for this clip other than to attach the end of the polywire to so it wont spin off the reel if you get to the end.

Any ideas?

Some of my reals have a clip like that but it's only hooked into the plastic of the spool. The frame on the large reelss are steel but the spools themselves are plastic and insulated from the steel.

dun

Latest posts